3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does this sound Major??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Josh E
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound Major??

Hello all. I have a 05 1500 4x4 with a hemi. Sometimes after I start it up and put it in gear, initially it doesn't pull and it gradually starts to pull after about 15 seconds. Doesn't do it all the time. Just earlier, I start it up and backed up a little bit and after putting my foot on the brake put it into drive and it made a pretty harsh thump, kinda like a thump into gear. I have a warrenty with it and I guess I might need to look into it alittle more. Best I can remember, the transmission will throw a code but won't make it visable like a check engine light.....does that sound right? Does anyone have a take on this issue..........has it happened to anyone? Thanks for all the input

Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the tranny needs some fluid. Get it nice and hot. Follow the O/M for checking the fluid level.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Might also be good to drop the pan and change oil and filters. Some filters would drain back and cause post startup issues

Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Josh E
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the input guys. I forgot that not too long ago, I have a good friend at a dodge dealership and he did a complete flush and fluid change. I contacted him and I guess somehow or way, I was shorted a quart. I double checked like Mike had brought up and sure enough......quart low. Added the quart and have tried it numerous times since and it seems ok. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Does this sound Major??