3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Ram 1500 front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Dave M
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Ram 1500 front end problems

I have an 07 Hemi 1500 4x4 quad cab. I purchased it about a year ago with 17,600 miles on it. I'm now up to 45,000 miles and I'm having a lot of front end problems. At around 25,000 miles I started hearing a noise in the front. I check it out and it is a sway bar bushing, no big deal not something I needed to change right then. I put it off for a while and about a month ago went to change it out. While Im under there I check the outer tie rods and one is real bad. So I change both. I also see that the one sway bar link is bad and change both of them. I replaced them with Moog parts with grease fittings. While I'm changing them I discover that the driver side wheel bearing is going. I waited about a week on the wheel bearing and it started screaming. About a day later I look under there for something and see oil all over driver side strut and leaking down all the way into the rim.

So with 45,000 miles I have Had to changed all sway bar bushings and links, tie-rod ends, A wheel bearing, and struts. To me this stuff should have lasted a lot longer. My previous car was a Tacoma and I didn't have these problems until well over 200,000 miles. I towed a trailer about 6 times, mostly local, and went four wheeling on the beach twice going easy not doing anything crazy. Most of my driving is on the highway.

Are these common problems with the Ram at such low miles?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was their a plow on the truck? That is usually what causes the problems you describe quickly. The other time it's common is when people drive like maniacs putting a lot of stress on the front end. Bad potholes can do it too. I had an 01.5' CTD that took a beating due to the roads.

I just turned 101,000 on my 06' Hemi and the only front end component that had to be replaced due to wear was one Tie Rod end. Thats it. And it was not even that bad. Everything else is fine (I am having an axle issue now, but it has nothing to do with Dodge parts)

Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I've got 63k on mine and haven't touched anything in the front yet. (other than swapping out brake pads for ceramics anyway)
Had an '02 with just over 70k when I traded it and never did anything with that either.
Now my '01 on the other hand, must have done wheel bearings on that thing annually. But, that had a 5" lift with 35"s. And it spent more time buried in the mud than on the pavement.

Last edited by Mega-Hemi; 02-21-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not real common to 3rd Gens as a whole, but for some reason I see a LOT more guys with '07s specifically have more front end issues. I KNOW the tie rods/ends are unique to the '07s.

I know quite a few guys with '02 & '03 Rams with upwards of 200,000 miles still running on original front end components - including shocks.

Now the bushings don't surprise me, beach driving and winter salt states are tough on rubber components and it doesn't take a lot of salt water to get on a bushing to make it start to dry rot and crack.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Dave M
Rookie

There wasn't a plow on the truck. I looked for a very long time before I made a purchase, over 2 years. I looked for a truck that had low miles and was in perfect condition and was well maintained. This truck had all that, all the Maintance was documented with car fax. I can only assume from the condition of the truck and the Maintance records that the previous owner took good care of it. I drive into Brooklyn everyday from out on Long Island, so I do hit some good pot holes here and there. With the high miles I drive everyday I baby the truck to get the best gas mileage. I keep it at around 60 mph accelerate slowly like an old man. I'm not rough on it t all. The rubber bushings I agree with you on Hammer. The salt eats those up, and there made from cheap rubber. If it was just those I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But with almost everything new now I should be good for a while!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd also stay clear of any Mopar/non-greasable parts. Any time I can, I replace these newer (almost always made in China) "sealed" moveable parts with ones that have zerc fittings (I prefer Moog myself). A tie-rod end or ball joint just lasts a lot longer when you can grease them...

Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Dave M
Rookie

That's what I've been going with. Moog with grease fittings. I couldn't find a moog bushing with a grease fitting though. There is a company called energy suspension that makes them. But my buddy mechanic told me not to get that just get the moog w/o the fitting. I've read a lot of your posts and im going by what you have said. "If your going to replace something replace it with something better"

Quick Reply: 07 Ram 1500 front end problems