3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED Tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
I put these on my '03 'bout four years ago. Still workin' fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Depo-Pair-Eu...item46015d4af1

I think they come in all red, too. I wanted the gray to compliment the silver.
Those look great with your truck. I want red because my truck is red. The black and chrome versions to me don't look right on a red truck.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive got just LED bulbs in my sockets in my OEM tails and love them. Also have LED bulbs for my reverse and are much brighter.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM
jleonard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John M
Don't replace your stock bulbs with LED bulbs. Replace your whole tails with a pair from ebay.

They are OEM quality. I've had mine for 5 years with no problem. They look and work like stock - just plug & play.

Those are what I just got, I love em.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Carnage68
Amateur

Quick question. Just ordered the Hella Celis Plug n Play Tail Lights desiged for the 2007 - 2008 Ram. There was nothing mentioning the fact that Hella designed these lights for the base model and they will not work with the upgraded models, i.e. Sport, Laramie, Big Horn, etc. I have the sport edition. Are the taillights really different within the same year model or have different programming. If that is the case, I'll have to sell these. They look really good though. I've seen pictures with them installed and working on a big horn edition. I'm hoping they work when I intall them.

Last edited by Carnage68; 03-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
C-RAM
Rookie

What's wrong with putting LED bulbs into the stock taillights? I was thinking of using them for the brake and backup lights.

Do you need a different flasher relay for LED taillights/bulbs?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

See post 12

Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by C-RAM
What's wrong with putting LED bulbs into the stock taillights? I was thinking of using them for the brake and backup lights.

Do you need a different flasher relay for LED taillights/bulbs?
Putting LED's in stock housings (in my opinion) does not look that nice. Because LED bulbs typically direct the light straight back (based on how they are installed in the sockets in the tail light housing) so none of the tail lights factory reflector gets used and you end up with small (about 1" in diamater) bright red tail lights in huge red plastic housings. Makes your truck difficult to see and looks (in my opinion) cheesy since the tail light is not fully lit up by light.

They have new style bulbs with LED's on the sides too that will hit some of the reflector, but they still are not as bright as Halogen bulbs. Not even close. If you are going to go with LED tail lights, you need to buy a version that uses LED's covering a large area of the tail light.

But it's all personal preference.

Last edited by NV290; 03-08-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
NV290
All Star

This MUST be a mistake: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLA-010255...f5c9bf&vxp=mtr

The guy must have meant to put a starting bid of $89.88 and instead put BuyItNow for that price. I have an 06' so these will not help me, but anybody with an 07' or up, jump on this. The Hella tail lights are 100 times better in quality then any of the import type LED tail lights. The cheapest i have ever seen them for sale was $279.00. So this deal is insane.

edit: I noticed the reason for the low price. A small chip in the bottom of one of the tail lights. But it's still an amazing deal.

Last edited by NV290; 03-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by NV290
Putting LED's in stock housings (in my opinion) does not look that nice. Because LED bulbs typically direct the light straight back (based on how they are installed in the sockets in the tail light housing) so none of the tail lights factory reflector gets used and you end up with small (about 1" in diamater) bright red tail lights in huge red plastic housings. Makes your truck difficult to see and looks (in my opinion) cheesy since the tail light is not fully lit up by light.

They have new style bulbs with LED's on the sides too that will hit some of the reflector, but they still are not as bright as Halogen bulbs. Not even close. If you are going to go with LED tail lights, you need to buy a version that uses LED's covering a large area of the tail light.

But it's all personal preference.
I know this is all opionated but im going to agree and disagree....lol

Yes some cheap LED bulbs have LEDs facing straight back and yes there are others that are much better and costly but then again, you get what you pay for right? Ive got LEDs in my Niteshaded tails for both brake/turns and reverse. Depending on how many LEDs are packed on a bulb they can easily out illuminate a stock halogen type bulb.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Depending on how many LEDs are packed on a bulb they can easily out illuminate a stock halogen type bulb.
I have yet to find any that do. But then again, i am not activley looking. I just know what i have come across on Ebay and some LED sources. But i agree, LED's will certainly put out more light then Halogen bulbs. My issue is the way they put it out. In very small areas. You can pick out LED running lights and Tail lights on trucks instantly compared to older Halogen styles because of the multiple "dots" of light. I know with flashlights they have developed refelectors that work with LED's that put out amazingly bright beams. I would happily retrofit LED's to my stock tail lights if they had LED's oriented that would bounce off the reflector and look like (or at least close) to the stock Halogen bulbs in terms of light pattern. I just hate the giant tail light housing with little bulbs inside look.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights?