3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump not priming all the way on first turn of key

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
screaminmonkee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump not priming all the way on first turn of key

Hello everyone I am new here I just got a 2002 dodge ram 5.9 360 handed down to me. The truck has 75,000 miles on it and has been sitting up for a while so I am working on fixing a few problems it has as well as catching up on the maintenance. The problem I am working on now is that if I go to start the truck cold it cranks for way to long before it starts however, after it starts up it is fine and will start up easy after that. Also if the truck is cold the first time you turn the key the fuel pump does not prime as long as normal so for example if I turn the key on (not cranking just on) the fuel pump primes but not as long as it does if I were to turn the key off and back on a second time. If I do turn the key on back off and on again while the truck is cold it will start up fine but if I try to start it up on the first key turn it cranks for a while before starting up. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. I would like to explore my cheaper options first.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Congrats on the new (to you) truck!
I would start with a complete fuel system cleaning considering how long the gas probably been sitting in the truck. Ethanol laced fuel does not age well and more than likely gummed up a few things. A seafoam treatment might do the trick.Also check your battery and the connections for corrosion it might be on it way out.
Oil change, New plugs,belts and all the fluids should be looked at. A little TLC will go along way with a 5.9 the're a good strong motor.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
screaminmonkee

I just did an oil change after completing my plenum fix/keggor mod. I have Changed all fluids besides transmission but I will take it to a shop to have them flush it soon. Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, battery are all new. When you say seafoam treatment do you just mean as in adding some to my gas? also what all is involved in a complete fuel system cleaning?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 AM
MoparPaul
Veteran
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
screaminmonkee

Okay I guess I could try some seafoam, couldnt hurt anything. I just went out and tried to start it up this morning of coarse nothing has changed however, I think me thinking that my fuel pump not priming all the way the first time was just in my head? It seems to be priming the same amout of time as the 2,3,4,etc.. times I turn the key. Anybody know what this could be? It is still hard to fire up that first time but after that its fine unless it sits for a few hours then its hard to start again unless i turn the key on then off then back on, It starts up fine then.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by screaminmonkee
I just did an oil change after completing my plenum fix/keggor mod. I have Changed all fluids besides transmission but I will take it to a shop to have them flush it soon. Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, battery are all new. When you say seafoam treatment do you just mean as in adding some to my gas? also what all is involved in a complete fuel system cleaning?
Be careful about having a shop flush it. They often cause problems. Just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter yourself. Add a drain plug to the pan then you can gradually replace all the fluid without risk of the shop doing the flush wrong.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
screaminmonkee

Originally Posted by boosted-fc3s
Be careful about having a shop flush it. They often cause problems. Just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter yourself. Add a drain plug to the pan then you can gradually replace all the fluid without risk of the shop doing the flush wrong.
Ok I will take that into consideration. A good buddy of mine builds transmissions on the side with his dad who has his own transmission shop. Ill ask him what he thinks on the flush vs change.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
screaminmonkee

Ok I have an update on my cranking problem. Earlyer today I did go crank the truck with the same problem ive been having. I did not let the truck run I just turned it back off and just now I went to start it up, while doing this attempt (1st attempt for a few hours) I turned the key and waited for the fuel pump to prime (listing) once it primed the truck started right up FIRST TRY!!! So I pull out of my drive way and head to my destination once I got there I turned the truck off for about 30 min and then got in it to head back home. The truck fired up fine however, when I came to the first stop sign I noticed a rough idel around 600 rpm when I took off from the stop sign the truck started to spudder and almost stalled out when I pushed the pedal to the floor the truck took off and was fine the rest of the way home. Still havent tryed seafoam but I will put some in my gas the next time I fill up.

I still do not think it is normal for me to not be able to just turn my key and the truck fire right up with out the fuel pump priming first, I mean ive never had to turn the key and wait for the pump the prime before cranking before and its always cranked right up. Maybe if the truck has set for a few days but this happens everyday.

Also could someone tell me what rpm my truck is supposed to be ideling at?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Seafoam in the gas should help (I've done it many times). Chevron Techron is another product that has been posted about with very good results. Once you get it cleaned up try and find a product called StarTron fuel additive, that takes care of the ethanol problem with todays gas. You cleaned out the throttle body when you did your plenum fix, right?
Sorry I can't offer any advice about your fuel pump problem.
My truck idles between 650-675 rpms.
As stated above, and you can see from my sig pic these 5.9's will last very, very long. Currently at 200,600 miles, original engine and tranny.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump not priming all the way on first turn of key