3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Programmer or new Gears???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
ledyard
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I've had two Z71s and ran dual to an "H" pipe before two Cherry Bomb glasspacks on both of them, even made the impotent 5.3 V8 sound mean...

I will say GM engines have a natural tendency to sound good with almost any exhaust.
Do you think it would be a bad idea to just put a glass pack in place if the factory muffler?
Theres alot of 1500 hemi's in my area with aftermarket exhausts on them and the majority of them sound obnoxious and not in a good way. I didnt realize that alot of the annoying noise and cackle on the let-off is caused by the MDS engines. << at least thats what I read.
My truck being a non MDS engine I'm hoping will sound better.
I was shocked at the size of the pipe Dodge used for the factory exhaust. No wonder I read that stock exhaust is pretty darn good. This is why putting duals on it to me is just going to be a waste of $$ just for asthetics at this point.
Were it a 2wd lowered 1500 then the asthetic would be worth it to me.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The tubing is GREAT, the cats flow GREAT for factory cats and then they use this hideous, totally crimped "Y" pipe where the two sides join and have for years.

Ditch the "Y" for a better one, the Magnaflow "Y" offers great flow, is stainless and costs around $25.

Search the forum, lots of "my exhaust sounds like sh*t when MDS kicks in" threads. Luckily, non-MDS Hemi engines don't have the issue although the Flowmasters tend to drone a good bit because of their chambered (and very restrictive) design. Lot of mufflers sound really good on a Hemi. Borla, some Maggies, Aero-Turbines and Cherry Bombs sound very good to me.

This is mine with a Cherry Bomb Extreme, audio and video quality are so-so because I used my phone to record it and I really need to do another now that I have a working camera, but you'll get an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kK1Aidcamo

Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
ledyard
Rookie

getting gears in next week. He's using Mopar parts. He quoted me $2000 plus tax!!!!!!! Then he asked if i was going to pay cash and I said ofcourse. So he said $1800 out the door!!!! Nice. I'm good with that. Gears are all they do. So I feel good about the place and it comes recommended from a trusted friend.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
ledyard
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The tubing is GREAT, the cats flow GREAT for factory cats and then they use this hideous, totally crimped "Y" pipe where the two sides join and have for years.

Ditch the "Y" for a better one, the Magnaflow "Y" offers great flow, is stainless and costs around $25.

Search the forum, lots of "my exhaust sounds like sh*t when MDS kicks in" threads. Luckily, non-MDS Hemi engines don't have the issue although the Flowmasters tend to drone a good bit because of their chambered (and very restrictive) design. Lot of mufflers sound really good on a Hemi. Borla, some Maggies, Aero-Turbines and Cherry Bombs sound very good to me.

This is mine with a Cherry Bomb Extreme, audio and video quality are so-so because I used my phone to record it and I really need to do another now that I have a working camera, but you'll get an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kK1Aidcamo

^^^ that sounds baddass.

Exhaust wise for me right now I just want to stick something in place of the factroy muffler so I can hear the friggin thing.
Next summer's goal is cold air, and new exhaust from headers all the way back. Plus a programmer IF I dont need one right after the gears are done.
I still have to get a front leveling lift, shocks, Line-x chip guard up to the body line/inside doors, rockers, ect front to back, tranny service, this spring/summer.

EDIT: AND>>> a remote start!!! after having the factory one on my GM i cant live without it now.....yes.......(face palm)....i know, i know...

Last edited by ledyard; 03-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
ledyard
Rookie

slight update.....

Just went to exhaust shop and had em cut the muffler out and put in a piece of straight pipe. All welded up for $70. Sounds badass. Not as loud as I thought. Glad I didnt get a muffler.
Immediatley threw an engine light. Bank 1 O2 sensor low input or something. Cleared it and its fine now.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
ledyard
Rookie

So FINALLY this morning I dropped my truck off for gears! He was over booked last week. Should have it back friday afternoon. I cant effin' wait!

I also bought a superchips cortex last week.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, I wish I had that kind of money to blow.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
ledyard
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Dang, I wish I had that kind of money to blow.
Believe me brother it hurts. $1800 cash for a pro swap out. But its all they specialize in. But its thanks to my awsome wife for alloting for it when we are about to start a full kitchen overhaul. Gotta still do 2.5" level in front to cut out the scrape at full lock and a line-x coating on the bottom 1/3 of the body before fall too.

Quick Reply: Programmer or new Gears???