3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo component missing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Anna17265
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stereo component missing

I just bought a 05 1500 quad cab. The stereo head unit holds a single cd, but looks like it is set up to control a cd changer that would be located somewhere else. While looking for the changer we found wiring that would be consistent with a changer under to one seat. My question is does this seem right and if so where would be the best place to find this changer? Is it possible to get a model number for the changer? I can take a picture of the unit if that will help!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Someone probably had an aftermarket one in there and left the wiring when they took out the changer. Im pretty sure if it came with a changer it was the head unit with the 6 disc changer integrated into it. You would be better off spending your money on an aftermarket head unit. The stock ones are expensive new, and have a horrible track record for failing. I would never buy a used one.

Last edited by Dead2Fall; 03-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Unless you own a lot of CD's, or even if you do, you can buy iPod adapters that plug into that port on the back of the head unit and they fool the HU into thinking your iPod is a CD changer. If you have the factory steering wheel controls, it even lets you change playlists (it thinks each playlist is a CD) and songs right from your steering wheel. It also keeps your iPod/iPhone charged.

If you are going to have to buy something else anyway, you might want to go that route. CD changers have a lot of moving parts and are just time bombs waiting for something to break inside, plus you are much more limited to CD's and songs and have to crawl under there to change them. Most of the Chrysler factory HU's have a CD changer port on them even if they didn't come with a factory changer. The iPod adapters just plug right in and you are good to go. I put one in mine, several years ago, rather than adding a changer and I love it. I decided to go that route after my wife's Jeep HU with an internal CD changer went south and I opened it up and realized how many plastic moving parts there were in there. I had to open it up to even get the CD's that were stuck in there, out.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Aren't those ipod adapters like $180? You can get a decent aftermarket deck for that price with a USB right on the front of it. Load MP3's on flash drive, plug into deck, win.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Not sure what they run now. Mine wasnt that much a couple years ago on ebay. An entirely new HU is an option. I put one of those in my daughter's 4runner in december because it fit perfectly and was $199 shipped with vehicle specific harness and all included. I was happy with the Infinity sound and stock HU look in my truck, though, i just wanted to be able to plug in the ipod, keep it charged, and be able to control from steering wheel, so the adapter was right for me. For aftermarket units, there are kits that allow you to use your steering wheel controls, but they are usually extra, and i also didnt want the rectangle peg in an oval hole look of an aftermarket HU with adapter plate in my dash.

Quick Reply: Stereo component missing