3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can both low & hi beams stay on together?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Gunzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can both low & hi beams stay on together?

'05 Laramie - I've done the mod that allows my fog lights to stay on while my hi beams are engaged which works great. Once high beams are on, if when I toggle the switch to change back to low beam I hold the switch back without releasing it, the low beams and hi beams are engaged until I release the switch.

Is there a mod that will cause both low and high beams to remain on when switching from low beam to high beam?

Thanks,

Gunzer

Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, you can get creative with wiring the relays together but you should know that it's illegal in the US, not sure of other countries...

Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Illegal to have all 6 on?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nearly all cars with separate low and high bulbs have both on at the same time so it can't be illegal. I wouldn't do it in our trucks though. Having both filaments on at once cannot be good for the bulb's longevity.

When I had my ebay headlights (separate low & high bulbs) I added relays to them so the low and high were on together. The truck didn't like it though, flashing the "bulb out" warning for a second every time I switched from low to high and back. The damn thing was sensitive to the "lack" of a bulb for the split second duration of the relay's throw. It still didn't help the light output of those things so they now sit in a closet.

I never understood laws that limited the number of lights illuminated for high beam. By the very definition you use that setting only when nobody is in front of you so who cares how many bulbs are on then? And if you're highbeaming someone, that's already illegal whether you use one bulb or 10. Don't get me started on the states that actually wad their panties if you dare use fog or driving lights when it isn't foggy!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the easiest way to do it:

http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=9

The Brite Box. Direct plug in other then a battery connection. Allows low beams to stay on with the high beams. They also have a version that will allow you for fog lights to stay on too. Not cheap, but the simple hookup and already engineered design is worth it in my opinion.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

I think in AZ you cant have more than 4 on simultaneously in the front but as mentioned in above posts there are work rounds to make the lows/highs, /low/high/fogs, high/fogs, low/highs/fogs/aftermarket additions etc work together.

Last edited by SLT8; 03-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was referring to having six lights on at the same time, it's illegal to have more than four. The OP stated he had his fogs on with highs...

Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

I partly agree with John M. I also have aftermarket projectors and I purchased to replace the crappy set that came with the truck from the factory. Unfortunately they have also left me needing more. So I Unified the high beams and added the fogs into the mix. One relay controls the drivers side, one for the passenger side, and one for both fog lights. Works great. I had only one small issue at first. I wired the passenger fog off the passenger headlight and same with the driver side through a seperate relay for each side, well the fog circuit caused the headlights to not always come on. I am not sure why. Also both fogs work off one circuit, so if you power one, they both light up.

So I myself havent had a any issues. The headlights work great and now with highbeams I can see all around, especially right in front of the truck, which the high beams used to leave dark.

I work on telecommunications, (tower sites) around the nation. I live in PA, but travel everywhere. I am currently in Oklahoma. The good thing with my job, no other state can touch me in regards to my PA state inspection. I can be stopped, I can be warned, I may have to turn them off, but I cannot be ticketed for items illegal in a state I visit. Each state has to assume I am following the rules that govern me and they come from the state my truck is registered in. For instance, I can drive around for 100 years in any other states with a expired inspection from PA without ever getting stopped. When I enter PA is when I take caution.

So for those of you who live, work, and play in the state your truck is registered in, have to be more carefull of the mods you do.

I dont think they could ever know if you did it to just the headlights, but if you do the fog too, then they could notice. It is illegal to have high beams and fogs on at the same time. The state doesnt believe we can control the beams. You know, like shutting off street lights because our lights are too bright. Possibly causing injury. Blah blah.

Since I spend most of my time in the woods, snowy mountains, and alone, I need all the light I can get and chains......they help too. Plus the .45

Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Kind of a pompous response, but my 2 cents

Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can say that the stock housings with good bulbs (still with the fog rewire) put the ebay lights to shame no matter what's done to them. They might look ok when you're looking at the truck but they don't help you look at anything else.

The projector lights stayed on my truck for a few days and will now never see the light of day again. I guess I could always chop them up as the base for a real HID projector retrofit.

Quick Reply: Can both low & hi beams stay on together?