3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram QC Hemi 4x4 Shake

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 PM
LEpp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram QC Hemi 4x4 Shake

today on my way home i passed a vehicle was probly doing 70 plus when i got around them changed lanes back and my truck started violently shaking obviosly got stopped checked things over tried going down the road again and smooth sailing im confused anyone had this happen or know what to look at this is my first ram ive owned still learning

Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 PM
fishhawk64

Pretty tricky question to answer with so little info, did it seem to be through the steering? like maybe wheels/ or did it seem to be through the whole truck. I would check my wheels ofcource and tires, Make sure lugnuts are tight and tires dont have any probs you can see.

Than i would check all ujoints on axles and drive line. And than if after inspection under the hood for loose or unconnected, vacume lines, plug wires so on, i would take it for another drive, hit the gas and pay attention on what you hear and feel, try to pin point from what part of the truck it is coming from, but all this is a guess ofcource, gd luck and i hope others with more info and know how will answer you.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You, my friend have the dreaded "Death Wobble" very common to ALL SFA trucks regardless of brand. It could be any one of about a half dozen front end components and I'm sorry to say is one of the hardest to pinpoint to a single one.

In many cases it's caused by the steering box - there is a thread in the FAQ section about it that you should read...

Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 AM
LEpp

is there a way to check the steering box it did feel like it was in the front end kinda like a blew a tire or something or a loose rim but all feels tight only time its happened quite honestly scared me lol threw everything off my front seat to the floor i just hit the brakes and pulled off neglected to pay attention to if it stopped before i got stopped but i dont think it did

Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
LEpp

okay also wonder if perhaps my stabilizer that on it for steering could be wore out notice some grease on it like a leaky shock perhaps that could be part of it?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've only experienced it once, but what you describe is Death Wobble. Feels like a wheel is coming off doesn't it? But when you pull over you find everything in it's place. It can come on from hitting a small bump or even (in my case) going thru a curve. A small vibration starts, and like feedback on a guitar and amp, just starts building from there until your dash feels like it's going to land in your lap!
Like I said, I only felt it once, and was only going about 40mph. Never did figure it out. From what I've read about it you've got about 20 components that can contribute to it. Well, maybe not 20, but there's a lot!
I would give it some time, it may not happen again. But you should jack up the front, and see if you have any play anywhere.

2006 MegaCab 4x4

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram QC Hemi 4x4 Shake