3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new guy with 0440 code,non mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM
oldmangb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with 0440 code,non mechanic

2006 dodge ram 1500
Hi guys, heres the short version: hit a cone at about 45mph on NJ tpke. gas cap light came on,then check engine light.after research and new gas cap found damage to evap canister and "round thing with molex wire" going into evap canister.I replaced both. The gas cap light went off. I reset the drive cycle on it and it was ok. today, engine light only came on,not gas cap. took it to autozone and had it checked and it was 440 code. looked for broken hoses, found nothing but i did have a little trouble with the clip that went on evap canister(90 degree that goes to a tee). im at my wits end!! I traced it up to front of engine and see something it connects to but dont know how to check. I looked for the map of the evap system in the faq section buit i cant find it. any advice or a link to the evap map would be great!!! thanks. By the way, i work on residential heating and a/c not cars so i need a little help with the names of stuff....haha

Last edited by oldmangb; 03-19-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added truck type
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
oldmangb

no one can help me? i just need a little help finding a schematic or picture diagram of the evap system. please, i would desperately like to do this myself. please?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

In the FAQ section, or search for any post by 'weedahoe' there are links to the service manuals for download. those will have every bit of info you need for your truck.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a schematic of the evaporator system in the FAQ section...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldmangb
I looked for the map of the evap system in the faq section but i cant find it. any advice or a link to the evap map would be great!!!
Just thought of something, and I'm not sure of the default setting for new users. But something to check out. Click on "User CP" kind of near the top of the window where it lists the forum you're in. On the left side under the 'settings and options' click on "Edit Options". Scroll down to the 'Tread Display Options' and check the setting "Default Thread Age Cut Off"
Mine is set to Show all Threads, that way when I do a search everything will show up, same thing if you go into the FAQ section you'll see all the threads. I just checked and the oldest one there is from 1-30-2007.
If your option is set to 1 year or something you'll only see threads less than a year old, and you'll miss out on a lot of helpful, but old, threads.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer fuctioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

Symptoms
You likely won't notice any drivability problems.

Causes
A code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

The gas cap is not installed or working properly
The purge solenoid has failed
The canister is plugged and not working properly
Possible Solutions
With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid
Check and/or replace the sensor
Check and/or replace the purge valve
Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks

Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

You drive in NJ. The garden state, as in "I spend all my time ""guard in"" my ****." NJ has horrible roads and I am sorry to hear the results of such. The last time I was there the garden state tp cracked my factory 20" rim. Good luck, but Dudemanbrother seems to have given a reliable "how to" to find the issue.

Good luck, honestly.

Last edited by slakker25rs; 03-22-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 PM
oldmangb

heres the follow up if anyone is interested. when i hit the cone it broke the part that 1/4 turn screws into the evap canister. i replaced both but didnt know there was an o ring in between the two because it fell off at impact. anyway solved that problem, light went off. now my evap sys is good but new problem is waiting for o2 sensors to reset and cat cnvrtr so i failed inspection anyway but ill eventually find that too. thanks for the diagram, that was what made me realize i was missing o ring. thanks guys!!!! and yes jersey is rough!!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM
oldmangb
Default how does the 02 sensor & cat cnvrtr become ready?

anybody know how to make them ready so I can get reinspected. I just searched and i am not sure what to do?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Take your truck back to autozone and ask them to clear the codes. If they were only set because of your EVAP system then you should be good.

Quick Reply: new guy with 0440 code,non mechanic