3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 ram 2500 (sloppy wandering ride)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
bulktankdriver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2003 ram 2500 (sloppy wandering ride)

As all of you know the 2500 3rd gen Ram rides rough and the steering is sloppy.

My question is what would be the best remedy for this situation. I know it’s a work truck and all, but I should have a way to make my commute more comfortable.

I have looked at Carli Suspensions and found that route too pricey. Is there a cheaper way to approach this situation?

Furthermore, I would like to know if there is a moderate (3-6 inch) suspension lift that could remedy the situation and make the truck look awesome...lol

Thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I helped a friend install a Rancho 4" kit on his 2500 CTD, an '06. I basically got roped into the install because my Rancho kit for my 1500 has been FANTASTIC so he said he'd go with their kit IF I helped him install it.

Compared to lifting my IFS truck, his was a snap. Looked mean as hell and rode great. I HAD pics, but I lost them when my old laptops HDD took a sh*t and he no longer has the truck (getting your wife's friend pregnant will do that, LOL).

I wanna say he paid like $925 before shocks for the kit and added Rancho 9000x shocks (same ones I have). Thing rode like a dream both on road and off. The bastard, because I have IFS my kit was $1700 because I have no SFA to build off of. Coulda went cheaper but I wanted a kit with a full sub-frame instead of just a single cross-member...

As a side note: One of my tie rod ends that came with the kit (Rancho supplies a LOT of bigger, beefier parts that cheaper kits don't) took a sh*t after 5 1/2 years. Could not find a retailer who would sell me just the tie rod end, so I called Rancho to inquire about where to buy one. They NOT ONLY sent me one - but SENT TWO as I'd need an alignment after replacement and they didn't want that the other side might go out and I'd need to do an alignment all over again. FED-EX overnight at NO CHARGE - completely warranty. To say the least, I was totally impressed with Rancho customer service...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the sloppy steering could be your steering tie rod ends and the rouge ride could be your rear u-joints.

I'm not sure you'd like a lift on your truck. Even the high quality lift kits change the entire geometry and therefore ride quality.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM
bulktankdriver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW...This information is so helpful. Thanks for such a quick response. I have the ranchos on my truck now and I think they wore out. I have them turned all the way up and it is still sloppy. I even tried different settings to no avail.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM
fishhawk64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If steering is that sloppy i would check steering knuclke and gear box, my 03 has great steering. ride is ruff, but to be exspected from a beast like the 2500,s. Also what size tires are you running,i use 285-70-17 and love them, makes a better ride on my 03/2500 than the 265.

Quick Reply: 2003 ram 2500 (sloppy wandering ride)