3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I get a 180 thermostat?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Hot climate(80*+ all the time), go for it. Med-cold climate(anything below 80* regularly) don't do it, no reason for it.

Truck is tuned to run at its best in the factory temp range. If you tow regularly and live in hot climate, then it would be worth it.
Short duration trips would be a bad mix for a colder t-stat because you would never burn off internal engine moisture.

There's no real benefit other than when towing or in stop-go traffic in hot climates. Changine the t-stat by itself wouldnt have much of an impact anyways. You would want to go to a hotter plug gap if doing so which I have YET to see anyone do on here... Your engine runs at a spcific temp which it's tuned for. Dropping the runing temp makes the plugs act as if you had slightly smaller gap(reduces performance) so in theory ou could open up the gaps slightly and gain some performance without worrying about spark plug blow-out or running lean. Talking about a small gap increase like .005-.01"

*I wanted to add...blow-out is a condition of losing spark at the plug at high rpms from too large of a gap. For those that have not heard that term before, I has nothing to do with the plug breaking...lol

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-29-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Ellis42
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya that's the down side I been thinking about is when winter comes around it's freezing outside then I have that new thermostat on there, not sure how well that will go....

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Ellis42
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Hot climate(80*+ all the time), go for it. Med-cold climate(anything below 80* regularly) don't do it, no reason for it.

Truck is tuned to run at its best in the factory temp range. If you tow regularly and live in hot climate, then it would be worth it.
Short duration trips would be a bad mix for a colder t-stat because you would never burn off internal engine moisture.

There's no real benefit other than when towing or in stop-go traffic in hot climates. Changine the t-stat by itself wouldnt have much of an impact anyways. You would want to go to a hotter plug gap if doing so which I have YET to see anyone do on here... Your engine runs at a spcific temp which it's tuned for. Dropping the runing temp makes the plugs act as if you had slightly smaller gap(reduces performance) so in theory ou could open up the gaps slightly and gain some performance without worrying about spark plug blow-out or running lean. Talking about a small gap increase like .005-.01"

*I wanted to add...blow-out is a condition of losing spark at the plug at high rpms from too large of a gap. For those that have not heard that term before, I has nothing to do with the plug breaking...lol

Thanks you gave me the answer/explanation I was looking for, I have decided not to go with it because I hardly tow and we have bad winters here

Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I'd agree with 'dog. Hot climates and/or heavy towing it's a good mod. If you tend to do shorter trips it's a poor mod since you'll be increasing your chances of oil sludge and condensation problems.

Another instance it's beneficial is if you have some mods that tend to lean out the A/F ratio, as a cooler t-stat will richen the mix a tad...

Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Ellis42
Veteran

Ya I decided against it due to I don't think it will benefit me and the colder temps. here. Does anyone have any recommendations on other MODS for the engine that are low cost?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Tuner and efan will both help some are are fairly low cost. You could also ditch the chambered muffler for one with some decent flow...

Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

Hmmm. I have a jet waiting for install. I live in PA so I see just about all temps. My commute to work is a good 45 to an hour every day with traffic. I do some short trips as well. I figured with my vararam intake the slightly richer mix from the stat would help. So should I throw it in or not? I'm also running a SC tuner with a free flowing exhaust ( magnaflow y pipe and a custom cat back).

Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Stupid question...but what are the benefits of an efan and what's a good efan to buy?

I am superchip my truck after I buy the plenum repair kit from Hughes

Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

Originally Posted by Ellis42
Stupid question...but what are the benefits of an efan and what's a good efan to buy?

I am superchip my truck after I buy the plenum repair kit from Hughes
An efan takes the drag of the factory clutch fan off the engine. Less drag on the engine = more power and better fuel mileage. They also move more air than the stock fan so engine will be cooler. I bought a flex a lite 183 which is a direct bolt on for a Hemi. Got it for 250 shipped from amazon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I get a 180 thermostat?