3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 EGR removal: Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012 | 06:43 PM
rypp77
|
Default 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 EGR removal: Help

The egr is in the back of the engine on the driver side. I know there are 2 bolts that are 8mm and 2 bolts that are 10mm. The single bolt on the intake as well.

The steps are
1: remove the single bolt on the intake (That was not there)
2: remove the two bolts that are 8mm (That I can barely touch, I tried from underneath and on top with no luck, at this point I'm about to remove the wiring harness just to get access to touch the bolts)
3: remove the two bolts holding the EGR. (I can only remove one bolt, since I can't get to the other.)

I really need to know is there an easier way. The steps online make it seem like an easy job, but two days trying to get to it.

How in the hell do you remove the electrical connector. I know how to build a car and do all my own maintenance. Hell, I can even install at engine an tranny and just can't find a easy way to get the damn job done.

- R

Old 04-01-2012 | 07:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

which engine???

Old 04-03-2012 | 12:20 PM
laszlof

I actually just did this today, took me about 15 minutes to replace it on my 2005 (with a 5.7 hemi).

If you have the same motor, and the stock airbox, its easiest to remove that to give you more room to work. Just loosen the strap connecting the airbox to the intake, and wiggle the boot off. Dont forget to remove the oil vent hose as well, it just pulls out. Then, lift the entire airbox straight up.

The electrical connector on the EGR has a little sliding flat piece on the top. Slide it away from the motor, it should move about 1/4". Once you've done that, press down on the inside of the plug and pull it straight out.

As for the bolts, theres only 4 of them. 2 8mm bolts that connect to the exhaust gas tube, and 2 that connect to the head. I removed the bolts holding the exhaust gas tube first, they were on relatively loose, so remember that when putting it back on. Once those are removed, go for the other 2 connected to the head. I had to use a short pipe for some extra leverage on them to crack them loose. I use a small 1/4" rachet with a deep well socket to get them. It was a bit tight, but it worked fine.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-03-2012 | 06:30 PM
5.7L_REBEL
Amateur

It doesn't sound like he has a 5.7...on my 05 the EGR is on the front of the block by the air intake...fixed mine about a year ago...took about 15 minutes...

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 EGR removal: Help