3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Devils_Advocate
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

2005 hemi 1500 slt. 4x4 quad cab.. all stock. 113k miles.

I have ngk copper plugs at .044 gap and bosch wires - less than 6k miles on them all

I have a new EGR valve installed and it did nothing for this issue..

So, I am in Texas atm.. going to California from Florida.. I need to make it home after this too!

The truck has NO cel's... and idles like a dream. But after a couple hours of driving with the cruise at 68 mph - the truck will start bucking like a mad bronco. I can't touch the gas pedal with anymore than 5% throttle or it keeps bucking.. all I can do is coast to the side of the road (with no cel) and shut the truck off..

I sit there for 5 minutes and I can start it back up and it will run just fine again for another hour! then it will happen again.

This has all been in 80-85 degree weather. anything cooler and it is fine..

what the heck is going on ?? I have a few ideas of my own but nothing solid.. anythign from the wires overheating and causing interference with each other due to the insulation not holding up properly under the heat... bad gas ?? from 4 different stations though ? bad throttle body ? bad throttle controller ? bad tq. convertor ? would changing from 25 feet to 1800 feet of elevation mess with my fuel ratios that bad ?? the infamous non servicable fuel filter?? HELP!! I'm about to find a dealer and leave it at their doorstep with an "it's been fun" card! I've owned this truck for about 5 or 6 years now and i hope to have it a lot longer.