3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Real eye opener for 2500 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Real eye opener for 2500 owners.

I will be posting pics in my album area ( can't seem to do it in a post with my black berry) that all 2500 ram owners should see.

My right tie rod ( drag link ) fell off the right hub after backing up at 2km per hour, Transport Canada is investagating and verry interested in my case number.

I spent over 2700.00 in repairs, upgrades to replace all 4 ball joints, wheal bearing on the axle hub, new front unverisal joints, with grease sable units, new stearing link.

A lot of this is mainatance and basic up keep, fluid changes, oil ect, and to replace substandard mopar parts due to the right tie rod (stearing drag) falling off.

Dodge dealer and chrysler canada are a joke were they seem to be doing all the laughing.

Drag link, or right tie rod ( as I call it) is held buy compression, ball in side a socket, the parts I will post show that the ball has grinded down to the point where in poped off, no comprssion can hold a part thats worn down from the inside.

THis is on a truck with 121,00 km that is never off road, and yes, items wear down, but thiers no built in safety from dodge when thease items go.

Older dodge 98 99 2500 Rams that have a reputation for woundering stearing had a lip cast over the ball and joint sockets, they would never ever stear straight, but at least the drag links stayed put, my 06 2500 Ram dose not have this cast lip.

Labour was 700.00 the parts over two grand, its not spending the money that has me up set, thats just the benifet of living life, the whole concept that dodge builds trucks with 100% potential to kill people, not to keep them alive and happy to buy new dodge Rams is why Im ranting.

Please don't panic, just be aware of how thease trucks are built, and repair threw the after market as you see fit.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be friday the 13 as my pics are not uploading to my album, any how I have two pics up that show the ball joint and socket. Thiers one bolt holding the draglink to the top of the right hub, the rest is hold togethier with compression.

Transport canada now has thease used parts.

Check for play and keep this greased, all thow all the grease you can pump into the joint is not going to prevent it from falling off.

My replacment drage link has a lock washer on top and bottom of the hub, were as dodge units right from mopar don't have this safety feature.

What you see is all thats holding your stearing linkage, or drag links to the hub, the right one rusted out, or wore out and poped under pressure from making a slow turn.

IM having a really hard time getting used to my new rebuilt front end, now it feels like the truck is stearing back unto its self, were as prior to lossing the drag link, I never had a issue with my stearing, 2700.00 for four ball joints, axle bearing new drag link 2 front u joints and labor (oli change, transfer case diff service too )

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Real eye opener for 2500 owners.