3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leak after gear change 2006 Ram - could it be related to the change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
kjun
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak after gear change 2006 Ram - could it be related to the change?

I just had my gears swapped out on my 06 Ram 1500 4x4. Now on the right front axle around what appears to be the 4x4 actuator/disconnect and the axle tube output area is leaking. Not too bad but enough to get a drop or 2 on the ground after sitting for a bit and its pretty wet at the axle area. No leaks before the gear swap.

Before I take it back, I was curious if this area gets messed with during the gear change and when it was put back together maybe as seal got rolled causing the leak. Or do they just mess with the diff area. I have over 100K on the truck so could be a coincidence as well. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

They could have rubbed the seal when they pulled out the axle or when it went back in. A very small burr or rub will cause leaking. Dirt could also be an issue, once it gets in the middle of the seal, it'll leak forever because it's essentiall sandpaper on a rubber seal.

At 100kmi, the rubber seals are getting delicate and brittle. You should have had them change all the axle seals and the rear bearing while everything was apart. Woulda only cost another $100 parts/labor likely.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM
kjun
Professional

Thanks for the info. Never occurred to me about replacing the seals while it was apart. I would have done it in a heartbeat if I would have thought of it.

This is a pretty good 4x4 shop. I will take it back and see what they say.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Does the seal look new? Sometimes I get a crap-tastic seal from NAPA that leaks when brand new - and that's professionally installed.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM
kjun
Professional

Originally Posted by freestyledude
Does the seal look new? Sometimes I get a crap-tastic seal from NAPA that leaks when brand new - and that's professionally installed.
No seals were not replaced. I am leaning towards it getting messed up when they slid the axle shaft out and back in like stated earlier in the first reply.

Quick Reply: leak after gear change 2006 Ram - could it be related to the change?