3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flashing tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
spyder666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashing tail lights

My wife recently bought me a set of LED tail lights for my 04 1500 qaud cab. easy installation and everything working normal. yesterday i noticed that if the truck is not running and a door is opened the tail lights blink. the factory never did this. if you open another door right away they do not blink. its like they are in sequence with the dome light. if you wait until it goes out and open the door again, the tail lights will blink. i turned the dome lights off but they still blink when i open an door. i do have a bad door switch, rear drivers door does not cause dome light to turn on. could this be the problem or do i need to search deeper? Turning the dome lights off and the lights still blinking makes me think otherwise. i am just confused as to why this started all of a sudden with the installation of the LED's. The door switch has been bad for some time now. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to add resitors across the lines(+/-) The LEDs dont draw enough power so the computer can't detect that they are on so it pulses power to the sockets.
I'm not sure what everyone is using? I think I seen 6ohm 50w for tails are being used.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-15-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Dirty, i think the tails and turns use 25w load resistors

Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM
spyder666

nothing was said when i purchased them so i did not think anything of it. i ordered the Spyder LED's from autoanything. this only happens when the truck is off. there is no reason they should be on at all, that is what i cant seem to figure out. i open the doors and they blink. all my lights flash when i unlock or turn the alarm on and all lights stay on when i use the remote start until i put the key in and hit the break, then they all shut off. so like i said i cant seem to figure out why they are flashing at all????????? when i open the doors there is no reason the computer should be telling the lights to blink. never have before. so im still confused. does this make sense to anyone? sorry guys if im not getting it yet. but thank you for your replies so far.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by spyder666
nothing was said when i purchased them so i did not think anything of it. i ordered the Spyder LED's from autoanything. this only happens when the truck is off. there is no reason they should be on at all, that is what i cant seem to figure out. i open the doors and they blink. all my lights flash when i unlock or turn the alarm on and all lights stay on when i use the remote start until i put the key in and hit the break, then they all shut off. so like i said i cant seem to figure out why they are flashing at all????????? when i open the doors there is no reason the computer should be telling the lights to blink. never have before. so im still confused. does this make sense to anyone? sorry guys if im not getting it yet. but thank you for your replies so far.
but it does. Your solution has already been addressed above. Load resistors bud.

Weed, the wattage is how much the resistors can handle, not the amount they draw. The 6ohm resitors will allow 24watts to be wasted in the form of heat. So, 25w, 30w or 50w will all accomplish the same task.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
spyder666

alright, i ll have to figure out how to put them on. thanks again.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by spyder666
alright, i ll have to figure out how to put them on. thanks again.
From positive lead to the ground lead anywhere inline between the computer and the bulb. They get Hot, so keep them somewhere they won't touch a bunch of wires.

Quick Reply: flashing tail lights