3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 4.7 Ram 1500 Tranny Codes p2706 p0700, Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Trees575
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 4.7 Ram 1500 Tranny Codes p2706 p0700, Limp Mode

Currently been having issues with my truck for about a month, I see threads that the trucks go into limp mode when there is a problem inside tranny. I went and got my engine light checked at AutoZone and got the codes P2706 and P0700, I would like some help on what the problem might be exactly, I went to a Transmission shop and the guy told me oh yeah we’re going to have to change the pack out, went to another one and that guy told me you can change out singles Solenoids. Kinda stuck between what to do one is pricey and one isn’t so pricey. But I wanna do the Correct one for my problems. Should I just change Tranny fluid get a flush or that wouldn’t do anything, my truck has 117000 miles this is my first problem with the truck since I got it at 80,000 miles. I’m also willing and able to work on it myself if it is possible? Again what are some recommendations or how to’s? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-13-2021, 06:26 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

The P2706/0700 codes are not uncommon and usually nothing to worry about.
For changing tranny fluid, I think this is always a good idea. Change both filters and wipe the pan clean. Hopefully you will see nothing unusual with the pan off, just some slight wear.
For fixing the problem, I like the mech that says he can change out solenoids. Failed solenoid is a likely cause of your problem. I'd also ask the mech how he is going to isolate the faulty solenoid. He is probably using a scan tool but you just want to hear that he has the tools to find the bad solenoid.
You may want to consider getting a scan tool yourself. At 117k miles your truck has lots of life because it is over-engineered for what most of us use our trucks for, but you will occasionally have failed sensors and a scan tool can save you time. Also look up the procedures for reading OBD codes on your truck, you can do it without a scanner.
I assume you are not running a tune?

Old 08-13-2021, 12:20 PM
Trees575
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
The P2706/0700 codes are not uncommon and usually nothing to worry about.
For changing tranny fluid, I think this is always a good idea. Change both filters and wipe the pan clean. Hopefully you will see nothing unusual with the pan off, just some slight wear.
For fixing the problem, I like the mech that says he can change out solenoids. Failed solenoid is a likely cause of your problem. I'd also ask the mech how he is going to isolate the faulty solenoid. He is probably using a scan tool but you just want to hear that he has the tools to find the bad solenoid.
You may want to consider getting a scan tool yourself. At 117k miles your truck has lots of life because it is over-engineered for what most of us use our trucks for, but you will occasionally have failed sensors and a scan tool can save you time. Also look up the procedures for reading OBD codes on your truck, you can do it without a scanner.
I assume you are not running a tune?

No sir no special tunes or anything, I’m definitely interested in a scanner myself any recommended ones, would that pinpoint the problems better then autozone? But as for the problem, you think changing out the solenoids not the pack would be beneficial, because also when I got the p2706 it’s pulling up as Shift Solenoid F. Which one would that be. I know there’s a pack and also 2 single solenoids. Appreciate the feedback, this has been stressing me out! 😅

Old 08-13-2021, 02:14 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I"ve never known anyone that replaced a single solenoid, they've all replaced the pack. I'm about 75% sure that a new pack would fix your problem.
There are videos for replacing the pack. You have to drop the tranny pan so you can change fluid too.
Solenoid packs are not cheap. I'd recommend get an estimate for the work from your mechs then see what it's worth to you.
For scanners, take a look at a few online and see what is in your skill level. If you go on amazon and look at an actron 9680, you can scroll down and see a comparison of features for the entire line of scanners. I've been reading 5v reference sensors with a multimeter for too long and want a scanner with all the features.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:13 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The solenoid pack is just 1 unit. Not seperate units. Another part to make note of is the plate for the accumulators. Screws have been known to back out and bend the plate.

Quick Reply: 2004 4.7 Ram 1500 Tranny Codes p2706 p0700, Limp Mode