3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Turbo replaced heard buzzing

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM
mbierback
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Turbo replaced heard buzzing

I just replaced my turbo in my 2004 Ram 2500. I started the truck and let it warm up. I noticed a slight buzzing sound. It went away after the engine was fully warm. Do you think this might be the turbo bearing? Will the turbo throw a code if its not getting oil?

I pulled the exhaust manifold to remove the turbo and had replaced the metal gaskets. I don't think its the exhaust manifold gaskets rattling upon start up.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe because it is new and getting broken in?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have zero experience with diesels but 20 years with turbos. A common source of noise after a turbo swap is a heat shield that was bent during removal/installation is now rubbing on the exhaust somewhere.

If the turbo was getting no oil it would fail very quickly and you'd know it from the horrible noises it would be making by now. The fact that the noise quit should mean you have no serious issues.

After the engine has cooled, does the noise return? Turbos have no break-in period so once it's up to temp you're free to go romp on it to make sure it performs like it should.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 PM
mbierback
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Just to be sure its not exhaust I am going to re-torque the manifold bolts. The dealer diesel mechanic mentioned that the noted torque specs are 32 ft lbs, but he torques his up to 45 ft lbs following torque sequense and since I applied anti-sieze to the manifold bolts re-torque would be highly recommended

Quick Reply: New Turbo replaced heard buzzing