3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head Lamp Socket Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 AM
brandon.,.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head Lamp Socket Issues

I bought blue halogen bulbs for my 07 dodge half ton. both worked for 2 weeks, then passenger side quit, had 12 volts so i took that bulb back and got a new one. the new bulb worked for 2 days. then i noticed my head lamp socket had a worn out connection point. the center port (black wire) was melted. i then replaced the lamp socket. both lights worked for 5 days, then the drivers side lamp socket also has that middle port in the socket melted. bulbs are fine (with a little burn circle around the male port on the middle prong on the bulb), still getting my 12 volts at the socket but the middle port is melted so poor connection. any idea why this is happening guys? bulbs? wiring harness? PCM? any suggestions would be appreciated/ thanks.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would assume you have a bad or weak connection between the two contacts. That would cause a higher amp load or more resistance and cause heat. Just for chits and giggles, did you try going back to the OEM headlight bulbs since you didnt have these issues until you switched bulbs

Old 06-09-2012, 02:27 PM
brandon.,.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i found out that it was the bulbs. they were rated for the same wattage as my stock bulbs and were stock H-13's. But i guess they just produced more heat and burnt out my 2 40$ lamp holder sockets. went through 3 bulbs and 2 wiring harness' in less than 4 weeks. just for reference these are the bulbs: Putco pure nito blue 6000K's. I also did some research and found the middle prong that burnt out is the ground.

Quick Reply: Head Lamp Socket Issues