3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission failure - will move for 50 yards after restarting engine

Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 AM
JoeyCA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission failure - will move for 50 yards after restarting engine

I have an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4 - Automatic Transmission. Last Monday while driving home my RPM gauge ran high until I took my foot off the peddle and I coasted to a stop. After trying to change from Drive to 1, then 2 and even reverse the truck wouldn't move. I turned the engine off and started her back up.; I could them move about 50 feet, until I coasted to a stop again. I did this a few times until I go someplace safer to park and wait for a tow.

There are no check engine lights, no strange noises, fluid level is good.

I had the engine replaced 1530 miles ago (146K prior to replacement) and afterwards took it to the stealership to get a couple of things done (O2 sensors, oil pressure switch), they said the updated the computer to the latest update.

I have read that sometimes a computer update, or lack of one can cause transmission issues. Just wondering, may save me some big money.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 AM
JoeyCA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 5.9L V8..

Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The trans you have behind your 02 5.9 is different than what we have behind our 03+ 4.7/5.7's. Ours are more computer controlled whereas your trans has adjustable bands (ours dont) so you are likely looking at more of an overall trans failure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission failure - will move for 50 yards after restarting engine