3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Transmission won't go into gear - winding sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission won't go into gear - winding sound

First off I want to apologize for my ignorance with transmissions so if I say anything technically wrong please forgive me. That and thanks for reading and any advice.

I've got a '05 1500 4x4 Ram SLT quad cab. The truck is currently at a local transmission shop getting looked at. I took it there after I was driving home and crossed an intersection doing about 40mph and after going through the green light I hit the gas only to have my RPM's rev and nothing else. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road and walked to the transmission shop about 300 yards down the road. Ironic but I'm thankful I was so close.

The week before I was putting headers on and after getting them on I had to start her up with just headers. I mean who wouldn't. That and I wanted to move the truck a little closer to the garage in order to finish up the exhaust. When I did start it I put it into drive and the same thing happened. I was so pissed I just shut it off and left it. While I was cooling off my brother was out looking at it and just starting it, turning it off, putting it in gear, turning it off, etc, and out of no where the transmission started working again. It was working with no issue for the past week or so. Another thing I'll mention which I did read in another post was that when I started the truck and the transmission was not working I would hear this winding sound that would wind (sp?) down after I shut the motor off. You could hear the winding while the motor was running as well.

The transmission shop called yesterday and said that they were getting ready to take out the transmission to see if they could find the problem. They said there were no leaks and the fluid was a little brown but not burnt.

Finally to my question. Is it possible that I may have bumped an electrical connection for the tranny pump or something that would cause that winding sound? I thought the pick up tube may have fallen off but if it did then it wouldn't have started working again. When I crossed the intersection it wasn't a dukes of hazard type jump but it was a typical cross over where there is a hill. I didn't know if that may have caused something to come loose again. I was thinking something may have come loose while I was working around the transmission while doing the headers/exhaust. I'm also worried that the transmission shop is going to do a rebuild or replace the transmission when the problem is something simple they are overlooking. Again I am a total newb when it comes to trannys so I could be way off base. I also do have the aftermarket manual and when it comes to the tranny it pretty much says take it to a shop.

Again thanks for any advice and taking the time to read.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

try downloading the service manual from the links in my signature.

As for the sound, the pump can whine if going bad but so can other parts that are rotating and rubbing such as the TQ converter.

Please tell us what the shop says

Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM
eisej
Rookie

I talked to the shop yesterday. To quote the guy at the shop "...your transmission grenaded..." as in it blew up. I asked for some details and he said the TQ was shot and there were gears chewed up. He ordered a used transmission with less than 100k on it which is coming with a lifetime warranty. I'm going to go there later today to talk to him more. I'm taking my neighbor with me who used to actually work at the same shop but moved on to a diesel mechanic job.

I guess I'm just stupified that given the events, the transmission had a similiar problem a week or so ago, started working out of no where, then stopped again, without any inclination it was going. No slipping, no warning lights, no grinding. That and I was working for several days around the transmission doing the headers and exhaust. Again I am a total newb when it comes to transmissions but I am seasoned enough to know that something like this to be coincidental is rare. Then again, I've seen stranger things. He did quote me a price including labor which so far is $2k plus Ontario Canada's glorious HST tax of 13%. I'm estimating $2500 total. I'll post the final results hopefully later today. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
eisej
Rookie

Just got back from the transmission shop. After talking with my neighbor he put it into a better perspective for me. Basically the shop doesn't know what's wrong unless they take it apart. To take it apart costs time/money that I'd have to pay. Once they do figure it out they would need to order and replace the part. While they are there they rebuild the transmission. After all that is said and done you wind up paying more for a rebuilt transmission than a used one that comes with a lifetime warranty. None the less the tranny wasn't at the shop yet (It was coming from Standard Auto Wreckers in Niagara Falls) but the guys there said they would stay until they got it put in. Total cost $2100.

I still wish I knew what blew up just so other people here on the board would know.

Quick Reply: Transmission won't go into gear - winding sound