3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 5.7 ram blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 AM
mustang_170556
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys think he should actually replace the block or just do a simple re-ring kit complete with all gaskets and have heads redone... i wouldn't think the block would need to be touched unless he wanted it honed or something. plus, that would keep cost way down

Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't hone it with pistons in the block and to pull them you need to pull the pan and crank. So if you're going to go that far then you need to just rebuild all of it. Putting rings in it is a band aid unless you do it all IMO

Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM
all roughed up

im starting to hear more an more about the puffs of blue smoke as i look for a solution myself. shock5 is probly trying to see if it is just a bad suction or vacuum problem dragging oil into the intake. or hoping its something simple as such. as am i which would make a huge difference. could do rebuild and never get rid of problem... unlikely but possible.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you haven't already do compression and leak-down tests those will tell you what the problem is and in some cases where it is.

If you've never done one yourself bring in to a reputable shop and have them do it.

Most likely it is a piston ring that has failed, I wouldn't keep stepping on the truck as that can cause more damage which will cause you to gouge the inside of the cylinder wall(s), which will become much more costly to repair, as you might have to bore and hone, and then replace all the pistons depending on how bad the damage is.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM
wingnutks
Professional

Its likely rings if it is burning under load. Valve seals leak/burn under vacuum(start up, closing the throttle suddenly). I could be a PCV problem, but I am not sure it could get so bad that you would burn that much.

How many miles on the truck? To re-ring you dont have to pull the short block, although by the time your at that phase its probably only an extra two hours work. Depending on damage you could probably just hand hone the cylinders yourself and re-ring. All things considered it is not too expensive of a fix IF you do all the labor yourself. But again, its dominos... once you pull the pistons, you might as well do bottom end bearings, so youd have to get the crank checked and possibly turned...etc

Last edited by wingnutks; 11-02-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Izero
Champion

Well he might not have the tools to hone the cylinders, and if it's been going on for awhile he might be past the point of being able to hone them... won't know till he either pulls the heads or does the leak down...

Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
shock5
Default hemi blue smoke

Hey everyone thanks for all the input.
The truck has 118,000 miles on it and I have done a compression test all cylinders were around 135 the lowest was 125 when I pumped oil down the cylinder it came upo to 150psi. So yes I agree it needs rings I would like to just re-ring it and be done, but you know how that goes once you do the teardown it never stops.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Izero
Champion

yup... but 10psi drop isn't much, you might have just busted the ringland or maybe just cracked a ring a little bit... either way 10psi isn't too bad, so your cylinder walls should be okay.

Quick Reply: 04 5.7 ram blue smoke