3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:55 PM
jcase350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Clicking

I have a 04 Dodge Ram Hemi 2WD. I have been hearing a clicking noise coming from somewhere around the front end. I can't pinpoint where but it seems to go with the spin of the wheel at you can really only hear it at slower speeds. I thought it might be the brakes but brakes and rotors both look like they are in good condition. I am also hearing a a screeching sound at lower speeds also...kinda like something needs some WD-40...if that makes sense. Any ideas??

Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Really hard to help with the info you give but how many miles are on it? Have you jacked up the front end and the to spin the wheels by hand to see if it makes noise?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 AM
vietti
Amateur

mine was the rack and pinion.. 2004 hemi 1500

Old 07-03-2012, 04:44 AM
Ripperace

I'd bet money it's your wheel bearings. I have mine apart to do ball joints, and wasn't planning on doing bearings, because they are unipacks like FWD cars and 4WD trucks. Anyway, when I spun the bare rotor, with no brake components mounted, I could hear the bearing making a clicking noise, which they AREN'T supposed to do. They were on their way out, and close to needing replaced.They aren't hard to remove, as there's only three bolts that hold them in. The WORST part about removal is GETTING them out of the spindle. Ma Mopar used aluminum spindles, and the bearings are steel, so you'll have some corrosion to work out to get the bearing pack out.

I'd jack the truck up, grab the wheel/tire on top and bottom, and see if you can get any wiggle. Do the same on the sides and see if you get any wiggle. If you can, pull the wheel and take your brake components off (pads and caliper), then spin the rotor and listen for noise. You can also get a better visual if you have any wiggle in the bearing, but I always do the wheel test first, then dig in deeper. I couldn't hear any noise with mine, and they didn't have any wiggle, but when they start clicking with no weight on them, they are going bad. Trust me. I've been messing with these unipack bearings for almost 20 years.

Hope this helps.

Ripper

Last edited by Ripperace; 07-03-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Front End Clicking