3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake pad anti-rattle clips

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Willy McNasty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad anti-rattle clips

Did a front pad replacement today. The clips that "hold" the pads into the caliper, I assume are the anti rattle clips. How important are these clips? I had all kinds of trouble getting the pads into the calipers with the clips intact. I had to beat them in there. One of the clips broke on the last pad & I left it off. As far as I could see it shouldnt affect my stopping ability.

If I am incorrect in this assumption, please correct me.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ***** McNasty
Did a front pad replacement today. The clips that "hold" the pads into the caliper, I assume are the anti rattle clips. How important are these clips? I had all kinds of trouble getting the pads into the calipers with the clips intact. I had to beat them in there. One of the clips broke on the last pad & I left it off. As far as I could see it shouldnt affect my stopping ability.

If I am incorrect in this assumption, please correct me.

Thanks!
No way should you have to "beat" those pads into their clips and calipers.
They are awkward but, it's just a question of manipulating them into place.
The ratle clips are also Leading and lagging and must be put on in the correct locations.
Maybe that's been your problem??
As for your braking performance....don't quote me or take my word for this but, they shouldn't affect your stopping leaving them out but....I wouldn't leave them out! Just the noise of the pads rattling would drive me crazy!
Al.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

Thanks abarmy. I'm only missing one of the eight clips so hopefully it won't affect them much. I'm suprised the guy at Oreilly's didn't try to sell new ones to me considering how helpful he was. (he seemed way to happly/friendly to be wokring at an Oreilly's).

Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Anytime I have bought pads they always came with new clips.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 PM
boopadoopa
Professional

you can buy separate clips at the auto parts store.. I left one off once and the noise drove me crazy.. u would have thought something was about to fall off... I said at first i could take it but driving with the window down was loud...

Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

I got Wagner Thermo Quiets.....no clips in box. It's been a day & I haven't heard any rattling yet. At least it's not a huge chore to get to if I do decide to put a new clip on.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Some pads come with them, some dont. You get what you pay for. I use Autozone C-Max pads and they come with them. If you have to force the pads in place then they are not lined up properly. But I would certainly have those clips in place

Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 PM
ARHogFan

Could be changing the pads wrong. I had a problem with them till I watched a youtube video on how to change them. I felt kind of stupid but the rest were easy.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Odd.. I got the wagners and they came w clips. Different year I guess.. Still weird they would put them in for one year and not another.

Quick Reply: Brake pad anti-rattle clips