3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil in intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in intake

Hi all, just bought a 2007 dodge ram 1500 with 24,000 miles on it. Electric blue with the 5.7 hemi. Today, I started taking things apart to make my own cold air intake, and upon removing the breather hose from behind the filter, I noticed oil. I checked the trottle body, and there is an oily film inside. I can't believe that this is normal with such low mileage. Any help would be appreciated. The truck has a powertrain warranty from the dealer, so if there is a problem, it will be going back.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Its normal.

See that small rubber hose from the oil filler cap? See where it goes? It gets routed back into the air intake so the suction from the intake draws the oily misted air from the crankcase back into the engine. As time goes on, the misty oily air builds up on the walls or the intake. The oil and film on the back of the TB is from the PCV on the intake.

You can take off the TB and clean it with NON-chlorinated brake cleaner

Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I know what the pcv system is for, I guess I just didn't think it would build up so quickly, to the point that you can see oil laying in the tube connecting the filter housing to the intake. I'm relieved that I have it separated from the intake. When I have more time, I'll remove the throttle body, and clean it. I've never had a vehicle with so few miles. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: oil in intake