3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body lift ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
OHIOVIPER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift ?

I'm thinking about a body lift for my new baby 2005 1500 qc 4x4. I want to run 35" superswampersand I dont want to spend over a grand for lift then have no money for rims and tires.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:14 PM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: Body lift ?

You will not be happy with a body lift. Wait until you can afford a suspension. They don't look right, and certainly do not perform well. You get some vicious body roll that I cannot explain. I know you will experience increased body roll with a suspension lift also, but something about a longer traveling suspension handles it better. With a body lift you just seem to tip and jerk around.
I speak from experience. I bought a Chevy with a body lift. It was done right with all of the necessary extensions. I proceeded to rip it out a week later and install lift springs.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Phatboy
Professional

I have installed a body lift on almost every 4wd I have owned and I have never had a problem. The body lift helps keep the ride almost identical to stock. With the suspension lift you are going to have a stiffer ride, due to the increased load rate on the front end. It is possible to have an issue with a body lift if, 1) it is a cheap kit 2) the person didnt bother with the body mount bushings(polyurethane ones are great). I have seen body mount bushings go bad, dry rot - crack, and then the truck looked, sat, and rode like crap. If you check the site in my sig, it has my 95 ram with 3" body, 3" suspension and it looked, rode and sat awesome. It is all in how you do it.

Plus the cost is a lot better than the suspension lift.

Some people dont like them, but to each his own.

I will be adding one to my 05 QC 4x4 once I decide if I am going to use the torsion keys to level the front end out or not. I just want to clear 35 All Terrains.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:33 AM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm not going to argue against what Buell said cause he obviously knows what he's talking about, I'm just remembering the time I saw a horrible horrible body lift and wanted to smash the truck to put it out of its misery. Think long and hard, bud.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
ctfzr

I have a 3" body lift on my truck. I love it. As far as the ride goes-it's almost exactly the same as before. The only thing that I notice, is that because it sits higher now, I tend to take corners a little easier. That would be the same with a suspension lift. If you install the body lift correctly, with the spacers on top of the factory body bushings, your ride will be the same. I saw on a post that someone said your replacing rubber mounts with plastic blocks obviously didnt install the kit correctly. The instuctions clearly state to install the spacers in addition to the factory bushings. For the price you pay for a body lift, and the simple installation of it, you cant beat it. I can now run 35's with no problems at all. Just my opinion!

Quick Reply: Body lift ?