3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing a little coolant and temp gauge goes hot??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 PM
JMB3384
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losing a little coolant and temp gauge goes hot??

I looked around and I am not sure I found my answer. Obviously I should have someone look at my truck but I wanted to ask you guys. Heres my problem...

I noticed I was losing a little bit of coolant, I believe while sitting but not sure. When I looked I saw that my overflow tank was about and inch from the bottom of the tank. I added collant/waterto the fill line to see what happens over time. It was nearly 100 degrees outside so I thought maybe that had something to do with it at first and maybe it came from the overflow tank but looking a wekk later It seems like its coming from somewhere around the water pump. I replaced the waterpump around october last year. I read that maybe I need to buy a new gasket for the pump. Since I filled the coolant up around 3 weeks ago I did lose a little but maybe about 3 inches in the overflow tank. Not as much as the first time. I filled it back up to the fill line and today on my way home from work in traffic My temp gauge shot way up and my check gauges light came on till I started moving and getting some air flow (coolant full in the overflow tank). I havent checked my radiator yet.

Any ideas so I know what to look for?? Thermostat gone bad? Any help is appreciated!
Oh, and my air and heat still work fine for now.

Last edited by JMB3384; 07-25-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

I had those type of symptoms once with my car and it turned out to be the head gasket.
Do you have any white smoke coming from the tailpipe? Hopefully this is not the case because not a trivial job.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are losing coolant then it is either internal or external.

External means gaskets leaks, hose leaks, ect

Internal means cracked/warped heads, blown head gaskets, coolant in oil, ect

Pulling heads in the Hemi is no problem. new head gaskets and bolts are about $100.

But you need to identify where the loss is first

Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
JMB3384
Professional

I looked at it today and it looks like it might be leaking from the left side of the water pump near one of the bolts because I can see where its been coming down and it doesnt look like its is anywhere above that spot. Im going to check my oil, or maybe just do a change since I need it soon anyway. I have not seen any white smoke out of the exhaust. My oil gauge seems to be around the middle, sometimes a bit lower or higher when Im driving/stopped. Just frustrating, seems like everything is starting to act up on this damn truck. RPM gauge stays all the way down when driving unless I step on it then it shoots all the way up then all the way back down. Replaced the water pump not long ago, still need to change out my front half shafts. New ones chillin in the garage. I have that stupid wobble at high speeds and I noticed one of the CV joints is pretty loose, other is slightly loose. IDK... wouldnt mind ghost riding it into a wall haha.

My thoughts on this, even though Im not all that mechanically inclined... is that maybe its a combo of bad thermostat and need a small gasket on the pump?! My overflow hasnt seemed to have gone down much now which makes me think the thermostat is bad and not circulating. I do have 92k miles. Im gonna let my truck cool down for a few and check the radiator and see where the level is. Check my oil dipstick to see if it looks milky. Anything else I could do before i have time for a mechanic to check it out?

Last edited by JMB3384; 07-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
JMB3384
Professional

Well, I checked the radiator and its full still. I checked the oil dipstick and nothing milky, just a little dirty and needs changing soon. Now lets say I do have the white smoke coming from my exhaust. Would it do that at idle, while driving or both?

UPDATE: It was the stupid radiator cap! ha. Thanks for the input guys, always know where to go!

Last edited by JMB3384; 07-27-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Losing a little coolant and temp gauge goes hot??