3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting to sag in the rear??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 AM
PhillyFireLieutenant
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting to sag in the rear??

quick question, seems like the front is higher than the rear, didn't appear this way when the initial work was done, its been about 2 years and it appears that the rear is now lower, i put a level on it and it's def down a degree or two,, would a 2 inch lift block kit on the rear remedy this?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Air bags.
I put some in my 06 couple years back and they work great.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My rear springs looked like a lazy s before I replaced them.. I went with superlift easyride +3"... About $700.. they're still holding same ride and height after two years of working them hard.. good investment in my opinion..

Bags are a band aide, by my estimate..

Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

New springs or bags would help. IDK which would be less but I supposed springs.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 AM
PhillyFireLieutenant
Professional

thanks forum, good info!!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
My rear springs looked like a lazy s before I replaced them.. I went with superlift easyride +3"... About $700.. they're still holding same ride and height after two years of working them hard.. good investment in my opinion..

Bags are a band aide, by my estimate..
Bags are a fantastic addition if you tow/haul heavy BUT in this case I have to agree. If your leafs are shot then you need to replace them.

Personally, if hauling did them in I'd still go with new stock leafs and then bag it. Add a leafs or stiffer leafs are great for heavy loads but suck ***** when unladen. Been there, done that...

Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Bags are a fantastic addition if you tow/haul heavy BUT in this case I have to agree. If your leafs are shot then you need to replace them.

Personally, if hauling did them in I'd still go with new stock leafs and then bag it. Add a leafs or stiffer leafs are great for heavy loads but suck ***** when unladen. Been there, done that...
I won't even begin to disagree.. Bags are a nice addition to any truck that's used like a truck.. and that is from a one ton down to a half ton, with the greater impact being the half tons..

to add to that: while towing slightly over my rated weight, I once used bags, a weight distribution hitch, and a brake controller w/infinity switch... THAT rig, about 2k# over my rating felt safer and more solid than towing a 5k# load a few weeks later.. I'm not advocating doing this, I'm just giving mucho respect to all the rigs that 'assist' towing/hauling.. and, on an aside- I've searched for that infinity switched brake controller ever since, and never found it.. I'm stuck like chuck with the regular ol' brake controller (which works fine, but that infinity switched rig was the bombdigity)..

anyhow-

I run the superlift easyride progressive rate leaves.. that distinction is important..

linear travel suspension doesn't 'ramp' up so much- if it takes #100 to compress the spring 1", it takes #200 to compress it 2".. ect.. Most springs aren't strictly linear, as they ramp up some, but most are closer to linear than progressive out of the box..

progressive springs ramp differently.. if it takes #100 to compress them 1", then it would take, say, #300 to compress them 2".. this is great for hauling/towing, but it provides a stupid stiff ride.. not very comfortable and not good for holding traction to the terra as it can bounce around a bit of chatter sections..

this is where the combo springs come into play.. it's most often done with shocks, but spring rates can be manipulated too- you're just gonna hafta pay for them (read: $$$)..

the easyrides are a combo.. they allow linear travel for the first 1/3 of spring rate, which rides like stock.. meaning, the compression and rebound are damn near matched to OE.. but once you get past that 1/3? they ramp up quickly.. the bottom of travel is very stiff- and similar to the suspension characteristics found on empty one tons- or, similar to using bags..

again, you gotta pay for 'em.. I found a deal on mine, and my rear leaves were beyond recovery, or I wouldn't have considered them.. as it is, I reckon the springs on there now will outlast the rest of the truck unless I do something stupid like put a ton and a half in the bed and go bouncing down some back road..

just my thoughts.. I hope this helps..

Quick Reply: Starting to sag in the rear??