3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjustable lumbar support broken. Hard or expensive fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable lumbar support broken. Hard or expensive fix?

A couple of years after buying my truck, the rear up/down adjustment stopped working on my power driver seat. Once i found out it that it was quite an expensive fix, i let it go because it was stuck where i wanted it anyway. But, now the manual lumbar adjustment is broken. I never kept it all the way tight but the other day i got in and went to reach for the seatbelt and i felt it give way. I thought maybe i would get used to it that way but it just doesnt feel right and isnt going to. Just feels like no support at all. Has anyone ever dealt with fixing one of these? Is it a pain or, worse, expensive?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just try to find a seat in a junk-yard or a you-pick-it yard...

Usually Seats are not serviceable but you can always try to take all the covers off and start looking.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Can existing upholstery be removed without cutting it off? If so, how do I find out how. I live in a small rural area. there are no junk yards to just go pick through looking for a needle that matches my haystack.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Izero
Champion

I'll take alook at my seat tonight if I get a chance... but my guess would be that there might be a hidden zipper on the back of the seat, otherwise the cover may be held on with Hog Rings which means you'll need some special tools and a whole lot of patience to get in there and do it....

Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

If anyone happens to know if the lumbar support is replaceable or repairable, and if I need parts, I would probably go to an upholstery shop and get help getting the cover off to get to it to fix it. I just hate to go through that trouble and then find there is nothing I can do once I get in there.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Izero
Champion

after a little digging this MIGHT, and I mean MIGHT be the part number you need:

1-05166079aa

here is a little source that might help too:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...t-t198615.html

good luck... and sorry I couldn't help more.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Hog rigs hold the upholstery

Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

That stuff appears to be potentially helpful for the parts and the fix but nobody seems to ever discuss the actual process for getting to it. Maybe taking the seat cover off is easier than it looks like it would be?

And thanks for the info so far.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the bottom part of my seat cover off to replace the seat foam, it wasn't that bad, it was a few clips, some velcro and that was about it. To get to the top seat, I think you may have to remove the seat completely which is only the four bolts on the floor and the electrical wiring harness. Then there should be a couple of bolts holding the seatback to the bottom which you should be able to see once you have the bottom cover off. Then it should just be more tabs and velcro similar to the bottom. I believe the seatback is more of a pita to get off than the seat bottom, but should be able to be done. The only thing I would worry about is tearing it while removing the seatback cover if your fabric is in bad shape. Also there is a common break for the lumbar that is covered in some other forums, some say that you need to remove the seat cover, others not. I've never tried it, so if you do it let us know what worked for you.

One saying to remove seat cover, the d0dgetalk thread won't let me post, just put d0dgetalk in where the asteriks are and it should come up
www.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303096

One saying to do it through the small hole after taking out the ****
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.....asp?id=317298

Good luck! Post some pics if you do it.

Last edited by ewing111; 08-21-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Izero
Champion

just remember to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! part of that harness is for the SRS/Air Bag system so if you get static electricity to arc and hit that connector you might make the air bag blow up.... just a heads up.

Quick Reply: Adjustable lumbar support broken. Hard or expensive fix?