3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

think I busted a shock on my 2 inch leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 AM
rentprop1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think I busted a shock on my 2 inch leveling kit

a few years ago I installed a 2 inch leveling kit and Pro Comp ES3000 shocks together in a kit from Fat Bobs Garage for my 05 Ram 1500 SLT RWD
just came back from WV and some of the roughest roads my truck has ever seen, I hear a loud pop whenever I hit a raised bump in the road, and a different sound when there is a pot hole or drop in the road, my buddy said I blew out a shock ??
all the rest of the ball joints and tie rods, rack and upper CArm are new as of last month....the noise didn't start until after a few trips down a really bad road to my folks house and after about 2000 miles on the rest of the new suspension parts

if I did bust one, the kit said the shocks were 2 inches longer to accommodate the 2 inch spacer, any clue how to look for something like that when I go to order one ??

Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a shock, but look in there and make sure the spring didn't snap or something dumb like that. Any reason to not just buy a replacement that is the same as the one you had in there first? Most places sell shocks individually even though you bought it as a kit.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought the same kit at one time for my Grand Cherokee, 2" coil spacers with 2" longer ES3000 shocks, rode ok but not great. These are white, generic shocks made by Tenneco (parent company of both Rancho & Monroe). On the GC at 3800 lbs. I found the hydrogen filled shock to be adequate, but I'd HIGHLY question a hydrogen shock on a heavier vehicle (5000 lbs. +).

My advice - replace the shocks with NITROGEN filled shocks. Nitrogen is about 7x more dense than hydrogen and these shocks are much better suited to full size trucks.

You don't need to spend a mint - although more expensive Rancho 9000xl or Bilstein shocks will yield a better ride.

Pro-Comp ES9000 shocks are Tenneco made Nitrogen shocks that sell for about the same $ as the hydrogen filled ES3000. Skyjacker or Rough Country NITRO series shocks are the same and actually come off the same line as the Pro Comp 9000s - only difference is a sticker and maybe different color boots. All three are available in the $30-35 per shock range and will handle (and last) better than a hydrogen shock on your truck...

Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 AM
rentprop1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ewing111
Most places sell shocks individually even though you bought it as a kit.
I didn't see the kit offered on the website and while they still sell the shocks separately, there is no mention of one that is 2 inch longer like when I purchases and thus what let me to post this question. I have seen Rancho shocks that say 2 inches longer, but is that the travel length or overall length ??

still confused ?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I see your problem. Those rancho's should be what you are looking for as far as length, i'm no expert but you might consider replacing both from what hammer said, get some nitrogen filled ones, 70-100 bucks to replace both isn't too bad. You can always give the garage you got the kit from or pro-comp a call if you want to find the equivalent replacement that they sell today, or see what they recommend.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:10 PM
rentprop1
Rookie

the search still continues , Fat Bobs hasn't returned any of my e-mails to them, so at this point I'm not gonna give them my business, nice customer support # whatever , I have been looking at the Rancho's from Rock auto, but they only offer them a 2.5 inch lift and it states these are for 4WD, my truck is RWD ( 2WD ) ??

is that .5 of an inch really gonna matter ?? , on the other hand, does the actual 2 inch extra length really matter, I understand I have lifted the vehicle 2 additional inches over stock, but wouldn't the original shock work within those limits .
I do like 5 % rough road driving, most of the time its just interstate

what says you

Quick Reply: think I busted a shock on my 2 inch leveling kit