3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will not start.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:26 AM
troma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not start.....

Hi,
have a 2004 ram 1500slt 2wheel drive 5.7, 152000miles. Have owned since new. Was having brake issues while back, and truck sat for 2-3 weeks. Upon completing brake repair, went to start truck, and the following occurred:
1 or 2 weak cranks, and then it sounds as though starter is going, but under no load.(unlike starting with weak/dead battery). Sounds like a high pitched whirring noise, with no compression-like sounds. as best to describe it, its like weeeeeeeeeeee, as opposed to a normal wa-wa-wa sound. Serp belt is moving when ignition is turned. Thought maybe starter, but, it seems to be turning the belt. Prior to sitting, it had been running fine, with no issues.
I am the farthest thing from a car person, but am trying to make sense of this. Truck has been relatively trouble-free in regards to the engine its whole life, but, I must be truthful in that I just drive it, change the oil, brakes, tires, and thats about it. My philosophy has always been to fi it when its broke(dumb, I know....)
Hoping someone here has as an educated idea of what Im up against. Its been a great truck, but costs a fortune to drive. Praying Im not looking at a giant repair bill.
Much appreciation or any thoughts or insight

Old 09-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Aussie Dodge

Sounds like the gear on the starter motor isn't throwing out. Fully charge the battery or jumper it should be good.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 AM
troma

Originally Posted by Aussie Dodge
Sounds like the gear on the starter motor isn't throwing out. Fully charge the battery or jumper it should be good.
I did hook up the battery to a charger, and I do believe it charged, however, it behaved exactly the same. I will add this; have had batteries go bad in the past, and the sound it makes when trying to fire up now, is entirely different then how a weak battery start sounds. Sounds like no compression coming from anything, but just a constant whining.
In any case, thanks so much or your input, and I will try jumpstarting from another vehicle or the hell of it, anyway. But in my uneducated, completely clueless opinion, Im not thinking its a battery issue

Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 AM
bestram

try having someone tap on the starter while trying to crank it maybe like stated above the wheel in starter is stuck

Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
loflyer2
Professional

Could be the camshaft position sensor. At 152k it would be about time to change it out.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The way your describing this issue, it sound like a valve timing problem.....timing chain. However, I havent read any issues where the hemis have timing chain problems. If the start motor is turning the engine over, there is no problem with the starter. You say it sounds like there is no compression.....leads one to believe an issue with the valves. I would suggest a compression test may be in order.
First thing I would do however is ensure the two obvious requirements. Fuel and spark. After trying to start, pull a plug and see if you can detect fuel. Then, see if you have spark. Good luck

Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Id start with the motor have someone tap on it, if it works thats prolly your problem. If you have money to throw at it replace it first.

I wouldnt expect any thing besides that. for now

Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM
troma

Would like to thank all of you for your responses. Got a friend (mechanic) coming over today to investigate further. Money is tight currently, so praying its not going to be a major deal, but, can't say I'm confident that its not. As mentioned earlier, this has been a relatively trouble-free vehicle to this point, although it costs a fortune to drive@4$+ a gallon. Considering how little of my driving needs really require a truck, anymore, would be a tough call to justify spending big $ to fix, in that scenario(not to say that buying another vehicle is a more attractive option either)
Hoping and praying for a minor issue. Will update.
Thanks to all, again

Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Lets us know what you find out. Or how you fix it!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM
troma

OK....
So, buddy came over, and, we got it started! (how am I ever going to live up to all those promises I made to God in the meantime?!?!). According to him, he held open the throttle body while I cranked ignition, and she fired right up. His claim was, battery a little depleted from sitting or a couple weeks, and gas pouring into plugs when trying to start it, was not letting enough air in to fire properly. In any case, it blew a bit of strange ehaust for a minute or 2, and then ran fine.
In any case, got me thinking. with 150000K+, and not having to spend much on repairs, maintenance to this point, is it time to try to get what I can for it, and replace it with something else, before I have to start spending $ on it. Love driving it, been a super fishing-trip, tow, camping vehicle, it just costs an arm/leg in terms of gas, insurance, tires, brakes, to drive on a daily basis. Also figured out why this truck has always seemed to tear thru brakes(the front, especially), as I have suspected the caliper on rear pass side is sticking. Seems as though the inside caliper piston does not release as it should. Outer pad was 50% good, inner pad was completely gone. Have noticed over the years in especially cold mornings, the sound of brakes rubbing from that wheel, when driving off the first couple feet. No shop that did the brakes prior ever knew what I was talking about, and claimed nothing was abnormal. Surprised at how rusted the calipers are, as well(actually surprised at how much surface rust there is throughout the vehicle, overall).
In any case, thanks again to all who offered input.

Quick Reply: Will not start.....