3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

locked in 4 low

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:48 AM
beckman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locked in 4 low

hi guys i have a 2003 dodge 1 ton 4x4 and the truck is locked in 4 low and the service 4wd light is on and the code i have is encoder malfunction so im assuming the transfer case encoder motor is giving a problem any help would be great thank you

Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 AM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess fusebox for that year, not sure if the heavy duty trucks are the same as the 1tons, but our fuseboxes corrode out and cause problems like this. I've been delaying the inevitable and dousing my fusebox with electrical cleaner, seems to do the trick so far.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beckman
hi guys i have a 2003 dodge 1 ton 4x4 and the truck is locked in 4 low and the service 4wd light is on and the code i have is encoder malfunction so im assuming the transfer case encoder motor is giving a problem any help would be great thank you
beck,

I would recommend getting your 1 ton in to your local dealer where they can take a good look at it, just to be safe.
freestyle has a point, it could be electrical but with the service 4wd light on, there could be underlying issues like the valve body or torque converter.
Your dealer can figure it out seeing as there are times that one thing can cause another.

Hope everything works out and let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: locked in 4 low