3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECM Upgrade - What Happened

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:48 PM
jsabeh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Upgrade - What Happened

I had th ECM upgrade done because the last one from dodge caused me to fail smog. I thought all was cool when I passed smog. When I got to NJ for a trip to see the family I started getting a code of P1740. Took it to Dodge on route 46 and they ran diagnostics and came up with nothing. They cleared the code and off I went. When I got back to where I was staying I checked the codes again and lo and behold the P1740 was back again. So I checked a few things myself and found the recall for the horn to blow when the door was opened and the transmission was in reverse--not there. Check to see it the tranny would go into over drive while i the tow hold mode -- yes it would. Both were TSB's were done a long time ago and now not there. The horn blow was a safety recall. Went back to Dodge on Route 46 and they could not do anything because they didn't have enough people show up for work today. Any one else getting the P1740, they can't figure it out even hooked up to the Chrysler computer and to top it all off the check engine light does not come on. Any help with this out in Dodge land????

Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well you're in my neck of the woods and I can tell you dodge on rt 46 is USELESS! They are MORONS!

Go to the Dodge Dealer on Route 4 in Paramus:

315 route 4 west
paramus , NJ 07652
201-488-9000

They are very helpful there!

Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM
jsabeh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

Thanks Izero but the place your recommended is a hulk of a building. Appearently they are shut down and remodeling. I did go to Tetebero Dodge and they took me in right away and got everything squared away. They did have to go on line with chrysler and, of course, chrysler would only give them one step at at time but after 4 hours working with them they wound up reflashing the ecm (had to do it twice) and got everything back to where it should be. the P1740 was cleared but they don't know why it came on since everything is working and there is not check engine light. they wanted to plug something in and ride around a while they have that read out sent to chrysler so they can go over it but I had run out of time. At least the safety recall and the overdrive lock out in tow/haul is again in the ecm and working properly. I was told not to worry about the p1740 code since it shows it is a one time thing that clears itself just doesn't clear the code. thanks again for your help...

Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem, sorry about that, didn't know they were closed, but they are the best local dodge dealer in the area.

Glad to hear everything is working out well

Quick Reply: ECM Upgrade - What Happened