3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Column Shrouds-How to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:32 PM
bobinyelm
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column Shrouds-How to remove?

I need to replace my ignition switch on my 2003 Ram 3500.

I have the shop manual for the truck, but it merely says "Remove upper and lower shrouds."

I have the 3 Torx head screws removed, and have the TOP shroud off.

The BOTTOM shroud cannot come off with the big Steering Wheel Tilt Lever in-place, but I do not see how to remove that lever so the shroud will pop off the left side of the column (the right side stretches over the ignition switch OK).

This is on a manual gearshift, so no lever on the column.

HOW the heck does the tilt lever detach w/ the lower shroud in place (since the hole in the shroud is too small to pass the lever through)??

Thanks-
Bob

Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinyelm
I need to replace my ignition switch on my 2003 Ram 3500.

I have the shop manual for the truck, but it merely says "Remove upper and lower shrouds."

I have the 3 Torx head screws removed, and have the TOP shroud off.

The BOTTOM shroud cannot come off with the big Steering Wheel Tilt Lever in-place, but I do not see how to remove that lever so the shroud will pop off the left side of the column (the right side stretches over the ignition switch OK).

This is on a manual gearshift, so no lever on the column.

HOW the heck does the tilt lever detach w/ the lower shroud in place (since the hole in the shroud is too small to pass the lever through)??

Thanks-
Bob

It doesn't you pull the lever down and the bottom shroud should twist until the lever tip slides through the cutout... Be careful not to snap it...

The bottom shrouds are always a huge pain in the @$$

On some trucks I've had to pull the tip of the lever off all together, but I can't tell which is the case without a picture of yours.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM
bobinyelm
Amateur

Thanks-

I read one place there was a Torx screw to release the lever from the tab, bit I pulled and pushed and the whole lever just POPS down onto the metal tab that actually does the adjusting!

The hole in the shroud is big enough to let the metal tab through it.

The rest of the replacement was EASY.

The Dodge manual says you need to remove the ignition cylinder assembly to remove/replace the ignition switch, but you DON'T.

The switch can be angled into place nicely without doing this, and fitted onto the lock cylinder easily.

If I had followed the "book," it would have taken a LONG time.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:05 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

They have to charge by the Hour so the more they put in the Service Manual the more work they have to do the more money they charge you.

Maybe you should do a DIY on this? seems as if you found a shortcut people would love this

Quick Reply: Steering Column Shrouds-How to remove?