3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air:Fuel Mix Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Eric BMW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air:Fuel Mix Issues

First, Howdy

This is for my buddies truck. It is a 04 or 03 Ram 1500 5.7 liter Hemi with 30,000 miles on it. I dont know jack poop about trucks, but am a BMW enthusiast and know a large amount about cars in general.

Basically today we were driving and this driver (probably drunk) drifted into his lane. Friend slams brakes hard and horn hard fro a good 6 seconds before the other driver realized wut a idiot he was. Then at the next light my buddy partially peeled out in his truck. After this we noticed a definte **** up with the drive. The car had a very bouncy idle. Was ready to stall (did stall once) and had barely any throttle response. Once it did catch it did gain speed and was able to maintain a relatively high speed. The sound out of the exhaust was very 80ish with inconcistent pressures coming out.

Anyone know what else it could be to cause such a sudden problem? Anyone know of any common issues that peopel have gotten from hard braking/accelwerating?

Ive checked the intake out and it seems fine. Theres no smell of gasoline or any smoke coming fromt he exhaust. Thats all i can think of now.

Thanks in Advance

Old 09-05-2005, 11:48 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Air:Fuel Mix Issues

If problems started with hard braking all of a sudden, there would be many messed up cars. Since it is under warranty, have him take it in as this problem is probably unrelated to the incident. Hard braking and hard launching should not affect the motor as you described it. Just wouldn't make any sense. Actually on second thought...

...How much gas did he have in the tank at the time? If he was low on fuel, he could have ran dry for a second if he sloshed all the fuel from the pickup line in the tank. This would definitely cause the sputtering you described. I'd be willing to bet some money on it if the next morning he got up and the truck ran fine.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Eric BMW

Well im about ot go down and check. If nothing we drive it back to his house and then the stealership tomorrow. Good thing it is indeed under warranty. I was just wodnering if this has happened to anyone else much lieka common weakness.

Anyone else?

Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 PM
splashsam69

I had this problem with my 01 dodge and after a year of trying to figure it out it was the throttle body needed clean. I got some degreaser and sprayed all over the engine then rinsed it out. Worked great after words.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Eric BMW

Interesting. That would've been one my guesses but this is a sudden serious problem. The truck is virtually undriveable and almosy always stalls at low rpms. Very rough. Checked again and everything related to the intake seems intact and functioning.

Quick Reply: Air:Fuel Mix Issues