3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Valve Spring!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Valve Spring!

I recently purchased a 03 hemi with 90k miles on it. I have owned it for one month, done a complete tuneup and oil change right when I got it. So I am coming home and waiting at a stop light when suddenly the whole truck starts to shake, the engine was struggling to stay running and was idling at 400 rpm. The whole time this happened my dash lights were dimming. Needless to say I limp it 2 blocks into a parking lot and shut her down. Had to get towed to the dealership where they tell me they have to tear the top end down suspecting a broken valve spring or potentially dropped valve!! This sucks!! I am a 2nd year university student and just dropped 10k on a new to me truck and this sh*t happens!! The dealership said they need my truck for a week and up to 4 hours to diagnose the problem, with the worse result being a need for an entire rebuild. Since the suspense is killing me what are the chances that a valve dropped in this process?? Who out there have had valve spring breakage without grenading the engine?? I am fearing the worst, I can't afford a rebuild

Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 AM
abarmby
Champion

This is unfortunately an all too common issue with 03 and 04 5.7 Hemi's.
There have been people who have survived a snapped spring with subsequent valve drop. But again, many have had to have full re-builds.
Just cross your fingers and everything else you have and hope that you are one of the lucky ones.
Post up what happens please and I wish you all the best with this.
Al.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As said, a common 03 and some 04 issues. But while a full engine rebuild or replacement would be best, replacing the valve springs on the heads, the one valve that dropped and the piston it damaged would be the minimum.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well how many days/miles have you owned the truck for? Also look at the paperwork you signed when you bought the car... if it wasn't disclosed to you that there might have been a problem with the truck when you bought it, and it WAS NOT an "AS IS" sale then you might have a claim against the dealer/person that sold it to you... Also depends on what state you live in as different laws may apply... You might want to check into that.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Izero
Well how many days/miles have you owned the truck for? Also look at the paperwork you signed when you bought the car... if it wasn't disclosed to you that there might have been a problem with the truck when you bought it, and it WAS NOT an "AS IS" sale then you might have a claim against the dealer/person that sold it to you... Also depends on what state you live in as different laws may apply... You might want to check into that.
Don't know if there is any mileage in this at all??
These spring failures are totally unpredictable and as such, this truck would be running totally fine when sold with no history of any problems of this nature at all.
Many 03 -4's have thousands of miles on them without failure.
Therefore IMHO, no issues could be levied against the seller.
If we could claim any responsibility for the failure at all, it should be with Dodge. For producing an engine which eventually showed to have issues with this problem early in the initial build years.
But you will get nowhere with that! As with the Clutchpack retaining clip issues in the 03 - 04 LSD's. There's not massive amounts of failures to cause or trigger a recall by Dodge. They just suck up these low numbers under warranty and then, cast issues adrift when the warranty's expired.
Again to the OP...I hope your lucky and it's only the spring thats failed without dropping the valve. Oh and BTW.......if fitted with an LSD, check out the posts on this issue. As there may be a potential problem awaiting you there as well???
Good luck.
Al.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
GreenEH
Professional

Well the worst news has arrived. Valve dropped into the motor, the dealership won't rebuild it and I am looking at a new motor for 12k or a used one for 7.. That used motor has 120k miles on it and would have the same weak@ss valve springs. I have no idea what to do guys I am from alberta, Canada. Does anyone know of any reputable rebuilt engine suppliers?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Newer engines do not come with the same springs. A new engine is much less than 12k and as I said before, you can could simply replace one piston, valve and all the valves springs. Of course that depends on the damage

Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He just said that the dealer is refusing to replace just that one cylinder and valve assembly.... probably because they don't want to risk having something else break and be their fault...

To the OP, why don't you contact the Canadian Dodge Service Rep that is on this forum, he might be able to point you in the right direction...

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You guys have to think outside the box. The dealer isn't the only mechanic shop in town I'm sure.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have that sucker towed to the nearest reputable engine shop in town.

Hell, or even the next town if everything is cheaper. I have personally made it a point to support local businesses in my city and NOT take my truck to the dealership. They are far too slow for my liking.

Quick Reply: 03 Valve Spring!