3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CV Axle replacement issues and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Jayp413
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I was backing up in the driveway and listening for noise to get a better idea of the problem and heard what sounded like pads sticking and popping loose. I pulled the truck in the garage and pulled the caliper and checked the pads. They looked good. I then beat the rotor silly to get it off and saw the inside e-brake pad had completely fallen off and was getting jammed inside the drum part of the rotor. I cleaned it all up and removed all of the e-brake components until I can get the parts to replace it and jumped in the truck for a test run to see if the binding and popping was the pad getting hung up. Nope....still popping! I waved the white flag and brought it to a mechanic in my neighborhood who specializes in 4x4 vehicles. He backed it up slowly and felt and heard the pop. he looks at me and says, "That's not good." Which to me translate to "That's expensive." He said he thinks it is a broken worm gear in the rear differential. He is going to open it up tommorow since I brought it at closing time. These guys are defenitely good at what they do so I am comfortable with them having it. Just not the time of year for a bill repair bill. Well I gave it the ol' colledge try but it is time for the experts to take over. I'll give an update on the damage when I hear back from them.

Quick Reply: CV Axle replacement issues and questions.