3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hooking up XM to stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hooking up XM to stock radio?

I have XM with the Roady 2. There's 3 ways to hook it into your audio system: 1) Wireless FM modulator, 2) Cassette tape adapter, & 3) RCA-type cables (A/V type) or even a headphone type jack. Currently I'm using the cassette adapter, but it's a real PITA with wires hanging all over the place. I can't use the FM Modulator because down here in South FL there's so many radio station (alot of "pirate" stations too) that you can't go 10 minutes without getting interference.

I have the AM/FM/CD/Cassette stock radio. I took the radio out the dash but don't see anyway to hook the XM into it. I'm hoping that there's some way to splice into the wiring harness to attach an auxilary audio source. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-07-2005, 02:40 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hooking up XM to stock radio?

Well, I don't know about aftermarket but Mopar has a plug-in sat radio system for a stock head unit assuming yours will accept it. I know I pulled the stock unit from my 05 Unlimited and put it in the 05 Ram and it has the hook up for it. There is a button on the front that lets you switch to the sat radio. The unit costs $175 from the stealership.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:03 PM
BeasTA

I have my XM myfi hoked into my radio with the wired fm modulator. It works on the same stations that the roady 2 has for modulation, but you wire it inline with the truck antenna. its 24.99 at circuit city(i work there). Also, the antenna hook ups on the wired fm modulator are the universal antenna size, which the back of the radio doesnt have. so in order to put this in without buying another 20 bucks worth of antenna adapters, follow the antenna to the passenger kick panel and it has teh universal normal size antenna there, just un plug it and run it into the modulator. This sounds decent, about the same as teh cassette, but you can hard wire it into the truck instead of the cables.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Another Drew

ORIGINAL: BeasTA

Also, the antenna hook ups on the wired fm modulator are the universal antenna size, which the back of the radio doesnt have. so in order to put this in without buying another 20 bucks worth of antenna adapters, follow the antenna to the passenger kick panel and it has teh universal normal size antenna there, just un plug it and run it into the modulator. This sounds decent, about the same as teh cassette, but you can hard wire it into the truck instead of the cables.

Awesome. I tried to hard wire the modulator in this past weekend and I found you can't wire it in on the back of the head unit so I gave up. Now, thanks to you, I'll give it one more go. Thanks!

Drew

Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 AM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BeasTA

I have my XM myfi hoked into my radio with the wired fm modulator. It works on the same stations that the roady 2 has for modulation, but you wire it inline with the truck antenna. its 24.99 at circuit city(i work there). Also, the antenna hook ups on the wired fm modulator are the universal antenna size, which the back of the radio doesnt have. so in order to put this in without buying another 20 bucks worth of antenna adapters, follow the antenna to the passenger kick panel and it has teh universal normal size antenna there, just un plug it and run it into the modulator. This sounds decent, about the same as teh cassette, but you can hard wire it into the truck instead of the cables.
If I hook it upt that way, then I shouldn't get the interference from radio station "bleeding" in?

Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
mill500
Veteran

If you can live with Sirius the Mopar unit is pretty slick---there's a separate tuner that goes under the dash and everything else plays thru the existing radio, if you have the right one (it needs to be the one that shows songs/station names on the display). Everything just plugs in and you don't have to figure out where to put the extra display head.

Not much help if you want to stick with XM, though.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
BeasTA

since the source is coming directly thru the antenna, the xm will over power any interference, even if the station is pretty strong, but all the xm receivers have 8 different stations you can program it on, so im sure you can find one or 2 wiht the best sound.

Quick Reply: Hooking up XM to stock radio?