3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4- front wheels lock up when turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 AM
lyndo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR

In any case, do NOT use 4x4 on dry ground or where the wheels are not allowed to slip.

Read up on "driveline windup".
Originally Posted by 66three83
That's why you should not use 4wd on dry ground. Especially if you make a sharp turn. It puts tremendous pressure on your front drive train. If you're in 4wd on dry pavement, keep the turns as wide as you can, better yet don't use it unless you're on slippery ground.

Originally Posted by codiac
Do not give it more gas until the tires slip, that pressure has to release somewhere...hopefully at the end of the line with a chirping tire, but it could be at the CV joint, ring and pinion, drive shaft, transfer case....etc!
codiac, when I said to just give it more gas until the tires slip, I was assuming that we were talking about using 4x4 in slippery conditions which would allow the tires to easily slip. The driveline will always be able to handle it if you are on slippery surfaces, dry surfaces on the other hand...

As 66three83 and GRNDPNDR said DO NOT use 4x4 on dry pavement as it is hard on your drivetrain and tires. If you are making tight turns on dry pavement in 4x4 (for some reason?) do not use my advice and wait for the tires slip, it may overload the driveline and cause components to fail (as others pointed out). After saying that, the situation should never arise as there should be no practical reason to be making tight turns while in 4x4 on dry pavement.

Last edited by lyndo; 12-28-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Nah, u-joints are fine. Never given me any trouble, only in 4WD with the wheel turned all the way in one direction or the other.
I meant the "knuckles" hitting each other.

try turning a u joint 90 degrees and rotating it (like a swivel socket or something), and it doesn't work so well.

I didn't hear the noise though, so I'm literally just pulling this assumption right out of my ***.

Quick Reply: 4x4- front wheels lock up when turning