3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing CV/Half-shaft drivers side, won't lock with set ring

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 AM
timbersteel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing CV/Half-shaft drivers side, won't lock with set ring

I'm working on my friends 2003, 4.7, w/127K, 4x4. Christmas day, he has me look at the driver side CV/Half-shaft. It has completely ripped the boot off from the output shaft end from the differential, slung grease everywhere. His brother owns 3rd gen, 2002, similar. Easy fix we told him. He order new half-shaft, got it yesterday. Tore it down, and further inspection revealed worn splines on the output from the differential. I've been searching for hours since last night, and this seems to be a common issue with these trucks. I know I just replaced a half-shaft on a '06 Ford, and this wasn't a problem, due to a different design on Ford's part. Now, here's our dilemma, with only a few options....
We cleaned everything up well, greased the splines, and re-installed. The large booted part that slides over the splines and is suppose to lock. IT won't. Can get it locked, but only after a few rotations, it breaks free.

Option 1: We are gonna try to see if we can get a snap ring that will match the old one, but obviously in better shape from the the hardware store. I don't have the snap ring part #, only because I guess MOPAR doesn't want to advertise it on their site, but I can see it in their diagrams as part #9..that's it...
Option 2: Completely tear it back apart. Remove new assembly. Leave out half-shaft entirely. If he doesn't use his 4-wheel drive, is this a viable option? We know he needs a new stub shaft from the differential and snap ring. Dealership is closed until Monday, and I'm not sure if the parts department will even be open since it's New Years Eve.

I'd appreciate any help, advice, suggestions.

Quick Reply: Replacing CV/Half-shaft drivers side, won't lock with set ring