3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Hemi Battery Cranking Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Hemi Battery Cranking Voltage

I did a search of the forums using "battery voltage" and "cranking voltage" and didn't find anything relevant so I thought I would post my question. I'm curious as to what the voltage should be on my '05 Hemi 4x4 when I am turning it over? It is probably my own paranoia since I notice that not only Dodge but I noticed my brother has two Fords (04 and '11) that sound similar. When I turn it over it just sounds like the battery is having a hard time pushing the starter. It starts every time except once and that was because I installed some custom under hood lights and the plunger switch I used was misaligned. I'll do a quick video of the truck turning over today and post to youtube but does anyone know what the voltage should be at the battery when the truck is turning over?

I also have the service manual but it doesn't mention what the voltage should be.

I appreciate you taking the time to read and any advice.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the battery gauge mine is at the first line of the arc when I turn the key. My battery died the other day and had to get jumped so I've been watching it carefully now

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to do a load test on the battery and a draw test on the starter. All the well known parts stores can perform it for you. The load test on the battery will measure the condition of the battery by measuring the drain on the battery under load. The test on the starter measures the draw during a start. Sometmes, as a starter begins to wear out, it draws more amps to turn over. My pratice is to normally replace the battery at the 6 year mark unless it shows some weakening sooner. I just don't want to get caught trying to find a jump when it's dark, cold or wet. Out here, AAA normally gives you a 2 hour window to respond.

Quick Reply: 2005 Hemi Battery Cranking Voltage