3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low coolant, also had coolant on air filter box

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Foles75
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low coolant, also had coolant on air filter box

Today while doing a oil change in my driveway, I noticed that there was coolant all over the top of my air filter box. My Res. was basically empty. My Rad. was low maybe a little more than 3/4-7/8 full. I have not had any temp issues even here in south Florida.The temp gauge is always a little below that half way point. Basically no signs of anything wrong till i noticed the air filter box sorta covered in the orange coolant... I was stumped... The truck has not really been driven in about 3 days or so, and that coolant was just there staring at me.. LOL... When I did the oil change, I didn't notice anything while i was draining. I even took the filter and let in drain into a dixie cup for hours and nothing seemed off either... I took the rad. cap off and started the truck, there were no bubbles coming up, dunno if i need the res. to be full along with the rad to try that test. I have never seen coolant burped like that before. The oil fill cap is DRY no moisture.

Any ideas.... kinda at a wall and stumped... No hard miles all highway. no towing.
2008 1500 . 60,000 miles. 4.7L, 2wd reg. cab

Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Disko Superfly

Check the waterpump gasket.Exact same thing happened to me also.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 AM
abarmby
Champion

As Disko said check the water pump.
Also the neck of the rad overflow/res bottle.
Known to crack.
Also the plastic sides/seams of the main radiator
Do this when the trucks fully warmed up and the cooling systems pressurised.
Keep a good eye on your temp gauge as 4.7 are known to take badley to overheating.
Al.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Foles75
Amateur

Thanks for the info on the water pump. That never crossed my mind.. I do marine engines, and losing coolant with no leaks almost always go to a head gasket or cracked injector cup. I was just stumped due no signs of a tempeture issue or abnormal smoking from tailpipes.... will let you guys know what i find....

Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Disko Superfly

I never realized mine was leaking either. Once in a great while I would noticed a little puddle under the truck. It was reddish in color (not green) so I always thought it was either tranny fluid or power steering juice. So I kept a really good eye on their levels. Didnt notice it was coolant until I had it running with the hood open, leaning over passenger fender and my friend says your waterpump is leaking. I then noticed the slight splatter marks where my airfilter housing used to be. Turned out to be the gasket. Weird thing was, is that it didnt leak all the time.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Mark S.
Amateur

cancel

Last edited by Mark S.; 02-08-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Low coolant, also had coolant on air filter box