3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 2500 diesel drivers headlight keeps going out

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM
kelico
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 2500 diesel drivers headlight keeps going out

Hi there.
so I have an american 2500 Diesel HD pickup truck that had to have the Canadian changes made to it when it crossed the border, (daytime running lights, speedometer etc..)
I'm having a problem with a relay I figure, but would like to run this by anyone to confirm, or suggest otherwise.
when I start the truck and release the park brake the lights are supposed to come on (DTRL), but quite often the drivers side stays off.. IF I turn the headlights on and flash the high beams, then turn the headlights off, the light on the drivers side then comes on and stays on.
eventually this procedure doesnt work anymore and the socket for the headlight ends up fried at the ground terminal. I've replaced the terminal twice now and run a separate ground with the harness ground to the socket.
The light was working for a day or two (on this last "fix") and then off completely with no "procedures" to fix it. so. I'm open to suggestions on repairing this.
What I'm going to do is disconnect or reprogram the DTRL to stay off and check the harness for shorts. with the scorching of the terminal in the socket, I would have thought bad connection at the headlight.. but it seems fine and with no corrosion.

Thanks for any and all assistance.
I dont get a chance to check the site too often, so if you have any suggestions I'm willing to receive emails.

kelly

Quick Reply: 2003 2500 diesel drivers headlight keeps going out