3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

09 2500 Hemi Nails on a Chalkboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
sdramfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 2500 Hemi Nails on a Chalkboard

Best I can describe it as nails on a chalkboard. Not the brakes/rotors, can hear it stopped, louder when driving. When first starting from a stop it sounds like bursts of louder then softer. When driving it sounds like it is coming from drivers side. When parked it sounds more like from the front of the engine but still more towards drivers side. Any ideas? Exhaust? Belt? Its still under warrenty, but I want an idea of what could be wrong before taking it to dealer; so they dont spend hours looking for it and charge me for it.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

If its under warranty, they can't charge you for it. Take it in. Maybe bearing for idler pulley or accessory.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM
sdramfan

Extended warranty, the local dealer charges for everything. Like you want to hold your breath when you walk in just in case they are charging for oxygen that day. For my warranty I would have to get a estimate and send it in. I wouldnt even worry about it for the idler pulley because thats under my deductible. Just want to know if its anything else.
It doesnt do it all the time, but today was really noticable.

Quick Reply: 09 2500 Hemi Nails on a Chalkboard