3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake moans

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM
timekop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake moans

This problem has been gradually getting worse. When I place my truck into reverse or drive, the front brakes grab a little and there is a slight moaning sound. Braking is no problem. Truck stops with usual braking distance. I notice only when pulling back out of driveway. I don't hear any air from lines coming out and brake fluid level is good. I'm not sure what is causing this. Any suggestions??

Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Blacksport
Captain

One of the pistons on your calipers might not be releasing fully. Quick way to check is to jack your truck truck up and see how freely your wheel spins. It should "float" and not grab at all. If it spins freely, you should be ok. If it does not spin freely, caliper is likely the culprit. I had the same problem.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Blacksport, it sounds like your caliper is not releasing when you let off the brake.

Definitely get it checked out if you aren't up for the repair.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Senomar_DTK
Professional

My truck is doing the same thing, just started during winter. I will have to look into it and see what I find.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM
timekop
Professional

I plan to change out front calipers this weekend and bleed the brakes. Hopefully this will take care of things. Can't hurt anyway.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
timekop
Professional

Replaced the front brake calipers today. Replacement calipers from AZ. Bled the brakes all the way round per Dirty Dogs instructions. I made the mistake of trying out one of those one man brake bleeding kits. It was a waste of time and money. The old fashion way worked best. Braking is now smooth once again! Thanks to all who advise.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Just a note, the calipers may have been fine... make sure you grease the brake pins, that is what actually allows the caliper to float.

Quick Reply: Brake moans