3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time to have some fun with turbo's. 2005 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Crazkilljoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to have some fun with turbo's. 2005 5.7 hemi

Alright gentelmen. Lets have some fun designing a turbo setup for my 05 5.7 hemi magnum. looked at all the superchargers and sts kits. I don't like mounting it under the bed. I dont want to go 4 wheeling and crunch, there goes 2 grand. I want to mount it in the engine compartment somewhere. I know that i can only put 5 psi into that engine before i risk blowing it up. So. I want all ideas, crazy or not, and prices. I want this to be, kind of a community project. im going to need a wastegate and blowoff valve. fittings elbows and all. i need a turbo that i can turn on and off if possible. alright, Go for it.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Crazkilljoy

just noticed that there's a ****ton of room under my driver side door . and next to my transfer case. Ideas?
???

Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you are going to have a hell of a time unless you go with a nearly completely custom set of exhaust manifolds... it's kinda hard to Turbo a V8 with a single Turbo... usually twin turbo is the way to go. One turbo on each bank...

The other route, which is suggested is a remote mount turbo, they are mounted near the tailpipe under the truck, and they do come with a Heavy Duty filter on them....

http://www.shophemi.com/p-1688-sts-d...turbo-kit.aspx

They aren't exactly suited to Off-Roading because they are mounted UNDER the truck, AND because they are subject to much more lag due to the mega long intake run....

So that leaves you with few Turbo setup options...

If I was you, this is the route that I would take....

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html

This doesn't include labor and fabrication...

If I had the $ laying around I honestly would sell my Hemi and pick up a Cummins TD and tune that thing up.... you'll end up a much happier man with a much more reliable vehicle...

Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

i smell a really bad case of turbo lag, but at the same time i would love to see this!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by Nate_sorenson
i smell a really bad case of turbo lag, but at the same time i would love to see this!
Remote mount turbos produce STUPID amounts of lag...

But if he custom fabs up a twin turbo setup I think each bank will have ZERO problem spooling up a nice TD05... might even be able to pull of a pair of GT25R's... Personally I think I'd slap on a pair of 12g's set it at around 4-7psi and call it a day.

Good thing is he doesn't have MDS, if he does he will def need to disable it... either way I'd love to watch this project progress.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

Manufacturers are coming out with electric assist turbos now. If you want to get crazy, get a hold of a nice brushless motor unit to spool up within miliseconds and take care of any lag from a remote install. Just a quick draw from the battery until everything catches up. I believe Mercedes has this now in some cars and apparently it's pretty smooth with no noticable lag.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by hemi4109
Manufacturers are coming out with electric assist turbos now. If you want to get crazy, get a hold of a nice brushless motor unit to spool up within miliseconds and take care of any lag from a remote install. Just a quick draw from the battery until everything catches up. I believe Mercedes has this now in some cars and apparently it's pretty smooth with no noticable lag.

Yeah they are interesting, but I'd wait until they perfect the aftermarket units, until then I'd much rather size my turbos correctly and custom fab the manifolds, you end up with a massive savings...

Quick Reply: Time to have some fun with turbo's. 2005 5.7 hemi