3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine or driveline droning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Chumley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine or driveline droning?

Hello,

I'm new to this board but I've found that places like this are pretty good for some unbiased and entertaining information.

Just traded my Infiniti G35 Coupe and got me a new '05 SLT Laramie standard cab short bed with the Hemi. I bought the Ram 'cause the Infiniti was in the shop about every couple of months for stupid stuff - so much for Japanese build quality.

The Ram was surprisingly well mannered and I like the folks at the gas station so here I am. BTW: I've driven trucks most of my life with only cars in the last 3 years, loved my GMC Sierra but had to have that nice little red car...

Anyway, on the way home I noticed that the engine or driveline made a funny droning noise at around 1,500 to 2,000 rpm, mostly during deceleration but now with the gas on at around 2,000 rpm or so. I have a total of about 350 miles on it and drove it like it said for the first 300 (I did judiciously accelerate as recommended [:@]). Can't imagine that this is normal?

Also, funny note: I couldn't figure out how to get the fog lights on. Turned out that they installed the wrong lighting control panel and there is no way to pull out the rotary **** for the fogs. That stumped them at the shop.

Hope to learn and have fun with you guys (and gals).

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:45 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine or driveline droning?

Does the noise happen at a certain RPM or a certain speed? When you hear the noise, try shifting down a gear and see if you can still hear the noise. If it is RPM dependent then it is a motor noise. If it is speed dependent then the noise is in the drivetrain (tranny and back). Let us know what you find.

Also, if it is a high pitched whine, it is probably the axle.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Chumley

The noise appears to be engine speed dependent. After reading your post and thinking about it (all of about 2 seconds) the engine speed must be the culprit since it does

The noise during deceleration may just be the exhaust but during the engine speeds of around 2,000 rpm (at least in high gear - 5th/OD it's an auto) the droning/rumble seems to be something else. Could it just be the low engine speeds under load from a high gear that creates a low rumble?

My main concern is bad bottom end (how likely on a modern engine), possible motor mount issues or...?

I found out that the unusual gap in the passenger door that I noticed was actually the being misaligned and now have to have it realigned and the door rub trim replaced since it will be out of line when the door is corrected. This and the fog light have me a little concerned that this Dodge may not have been Q.C.'d well. Maybe that was a little too obvious?

Thank you.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you check the tire pressures on your new truck. Mine came through with 80 psi in them. Thats what they need for the maximum weight rating if fully loaded. I believe the manual recommends 40 psi cold both ends, empty. If it stays that high, it will wear the centers out of them in half the life.

Quick Reply: Engine or driveline droning?