3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

20" LT tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Dave M
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" LT tire?

I have the original tires on my 07 1500 at 77,780 miles. Getting a lot of cupping and now one of the tires is buldging making for a real bad ride. I would like to look into getting LT tires, not sure if they have them for the 20" rim. I tow about 6 times a year so the LT tires are not a necessity, but maybe something I would want. I commute 112 miles a day and really need a tire geared for highway driving. Would the LT tire affect gas milage or make for a rougher ride? Is there a LT tire you would recommend, or should I just stick with regular tires due to my daily commute?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I didn't get that many miles out of my original set, but I was satisfied with the way they rode and I never had any issues towing my 30' RV with them. So, surprising even myself, I replaced them with the exact same tires. From the time I found out that 20" wheels cost me towing capacity, I had always said I was going to go with 17" wheels and load rated tires. When it was finally time for tires again, I did just that, along with a leveling kit and shocks to fit. I sure wish I had done it 50,000 miles ago.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Dave M
Rookie

I am a big fan of the Goodyear wrangler. I had them on my 96 Tacoma. I got 125,000 miles out of the factory set and 120,000 out of my second set. I know guys don't like them on the Rams, I have read a lot of complaints. I know going down to a 17" tire is a lot better for towing, but I really like the look of the 20" wheels. It's one of the things I like best about the truck. I guess I should consider it though, I should get better gas mileage with them also.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

Keep an eye on the weight of each tire too since some LT's get pretty heavy. Since you're talking about road tires, then it's not quite as bad. The OE michelins were great on my truck and I'm sort of partial to them but when it comes to highway tires, there should be some other comparables out there in LT. Maybe you could look for a slightly shorter tire if you like the 20" wheels. If you can shave an inch off, you'll be closer to the guys running 265's/17 so your towing experience will be a lot better. The LT's will run a little rougher but when you're towing, there's no comparison.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put on Bf G's Rugged Terrian on,Its a newer tire for 20 inch. I have about 10k miles on them now wow what a tire honestly the best tire and ride I have ever felt in truck for such an aggresive tread, they are so quiet but looking at them you would think very noisey, more than pleased with them. This tire changed the entire ride and handling. Its a different truck. I wouldn't put a wrangler HP back on if they where giving away for free. Worst tire by far, im sure you would all agree. Yes you get decent millage out of them but your truck rides and handles like crap. Not worth it not even a safe tire in my my option, can't tell you how many times I would pull out of somewhere and get 0 traction when it was wet out. I can floor it now in the rain and these SOB's grip. If I ever buy a new truck and it comes with those tires. I would drive from dealer to tire shop same day and remove them. Best thing to do with a wrangler HP would be to haul them to tire scrap yard.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Dave M
Rookie

Originally Posted by RamedHemi
I just put on Bf G's Rugged Terrian on,Its a newer tire for 20 inch. I have about 10k miles on them now wow what a tire honestly the best tire and ride I have ever felt in truck for such an aggresive tread, they are so quiet but looking at them you would think very noisey, more than pleased with them. This tire changed the entire ride and handling. Its a different truck. I wouldn't put a wrangler HP back on if they where giving away for free. Worst tire by far, im sure you would all agree. Yes you get decent millage out of them but your truck rides and handles like crap. Not worth it not even a safe tire in my my option, can't tell you how many times I would pull out of somewhere and get 0 traction when it was wet out. I can floor it now in the rain and these SOB's grip. If I ever buy a new truck and it comes with those tires. I would drive from dealer to tire shop same day and remove them. Best thing to do with a wrangler HP would be to haul them to tire scrap yard.

I guess your right..... I may have gotten 125,000 out of them but the Tacoma did ride like crap! The thing would hydroplane like crazy.

Quick Reply: 20" LT tire?