3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serpentine Whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 AM
wingnutks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Whine

So I just notice that I am getting a whining from my front accesories... sounds exactly like an eaton type supercharger. Only happens after the truck as been driven and warmed up, whine is directly related to RPM.

I havent removed the belt yet to see if the noise goes away. If I get the truck warmed up so it starts whining, can I take the belt off and re-start the truck to see if the noise goes away(isolating the belt/accessories)? I know you can do this on most cars, but I dont know if this could cause a problem with the TIPM?

Otherwise I am guessing it is one of the static idle pulleys, or the pulley on the tensioner. Or could it be the belt getting warm and stretching causing the noise? Either way I think I am just going to change all 3 idle pulleys and the belt... its time anyway with 95,000 miles on the truck.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the 2 idle pulleys and the tensionor pulley? If I remember right, one idle pulley in on the top of the motor and I think one bolted to the water pump(I changed the water pump 15,000 miles ago)... are both those pulleys the same part number? I use Rock Auto, but they have a ton of pulleys listed.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

I'm having some power steering pump problems on my truck, it sounds just like what your describing. Might be something to look into, the pump on my crown vic and bonneville sounded the same, both were power steering related.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by DirtyDodge812
I'm having some power steering pump problems on my truck, it sounds just like what your describing. Might be something to look into, the pump on my crown vic and bonneville sounded the same, both were power steering related.
What kinda problems you having? Does your sound change at all when you turn your wheel?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM
jleonard
Professional

Had the same problem. Changed out the tensioner pulley. All set. That and or the idler pulley, I probably should have done both just cause.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=wingnutks;2970414]So I just notice that I am getting a whining from my front accesories... sounds exactly like an eaton type supercharger. Only happens after the truck as been driven and warmed up, whine is directly related to RPM.

I havent removed the belt yet to see if the noise goes away. If I get the truck warmed up so it starts whining, can I take the belt off and re-start the truck to see if the noise goes away(isolating the belt/accessories)? I know you can do this on most cars, but I dont know if this could cause a problem with the TIPM?

I removed the belt and drove my 03. Shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't over heat it. I could drive about 45 seconds before the gauge started to spike upward. I found the A/C clutch bearing to be the problem. Dealer was trying to sell me an alternator.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 AM
wht93gted

Honestly, my truck has done this since it was new. I know exactly what you're talking about. Stay under 3500 RPM or so and you never hear it. But say you nail the throttle, it starts to SCREAM like a roots blower in high RPM.

I tried for a while to figure it out (not that hard), but never did. I've replaced both idlers & the tensioner pulley, and a new belt, but it had no affect.

Like I said, my truck has done this since it was new. It's now 7 years old with 145k, and still does it. '06 Ram 1500 HEMI QC 4x4

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by wht93gted
Honestly, my truck has done this since it was new. I know exactly what you're talking about. Stay under 3500 RPM or so and you never hear it. But say you nail the throttle, it starts to SCREAM like a roots blower in high RPM.

I tried for a while to figure it out (not that hard), but never did. I've replaced both idlers & the tensioner pulley, and a new belt, but it had no affect.

Like I said, my truck has done this since it was new. It's now 7 years old with 145k, and still does it. '06 Ram 1500 HEMI QC 4x4
Nope, mine doest it even at idle.

I changed to a new belt last night. When I took the original off and spun everything and everythin spun fine. PS was the hardest pulley to turn but it turned smooth, just with more resistance. I put the new belt on it and I didn't really hear the noise anymore, maybe the truck needed to run longer. I used a mechanics scope and all the pulleys sounded about the same.We'll see

Quick Reply: Serpentine Whine