3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rhythmic squeal at higher speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Bertil
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rhythmic squeal at higher speed

So I just had an annoying problem pop up and I hope y'all can maybe give me some ideas for me to look at:
It's basically a higher pitched and rhythmical squeal/whistle/hiss I don't know how best to describe it really that comes up at around maybe 45mph and up. It doesn't seem to be affected by throttle, but disappears slowing down. I'm pretty sure it's just on drivers side as my wife couldn't hear it on passengers side at first when it was very quiet. That was a few days ago and now it's Loud enough to be really really annoying. It almost sounds like a crappy belt but it only comes up with speed and is not affected by rpm's, it is constant and I think it might slowed down with the vehicle slowing down. Which brought me to think its something to do with steering?
Could it be the cold weather? I live down south but its been around the 30s or below especially at night.

I've never heard this before so I have no clue so I thought someone might have an idea what to look at

it's a 03 4.7 v8 single cab

Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Ujoint or brakes dragging would be my guess.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Bertil
Rookie

Brakes are not out of question, but I had that happening before due to worn bearing and boy, did it screech. The u joint makes a whole lot of sense, thanks for the idea. It's a 2wd truck btw. That for sure is one thing to look at

Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Bertil
Rookie

Ok it is pretty weird. Now riding on the passengers side I could listen to it more carefully and it actually comes and goes- seems like it starts at around 40mph or so and then as you slow down the noise slows down with the truck, but then speeding up again it disappears to come back at around 40 again. So annoying. The noise definitely seems to come from the front, I could be wrong but around the centre console. It can obviously echo.
I tried to wiggle the u joints and they seem to be ok but I'm sure that's not the most reliable method of testing.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

sounds just like my boys truck when the ujoints go dry he is lazy when it comes to maintance.. if they are the originals they are not greasable..

Old 03-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

some times the belt tensioner can sound like that if it is dragging on the belts. get a bar of ivory soap and rub on the belt. I do it while it is running but if you do be extremely careful fan belt can drag you in and rip your arm off..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
rott96

Did you drive through any mud/ dirt? Maybe loose hub bearing, but I think you'd feel that in the steering...maybe a bent wear indicator on the brake shoe...

Quick Reply: Rhythmic squeal at higher speed